Global Chat

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nofear1299, July 24, 2014.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Now that 1.0 is a soon to be reality, is global chat going to be coming? Are there any sources that confirm/deny it will be coming?

I firmly believe it must be a thing - like Halcyon in GPG days. A community chat will go far in keeping the community involved. You could even use it to keep everyone abreast of updates and post polls where you can get everyone involved as opposed to polls on the forums where only a fraction of the players see.

I miss the global chat :(
    kjotak109, tatsujb, stuart98 and 4 others like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Good question. A global chat is just as important as a ladder and should be even easier to implement, since Uber already has the jabber stuff ingame. jabber supports multi user chatrooms afaik
  3. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Global chat is just something that should not exist... It's all about advertisements and all those craps(looking for a lady for the night or whatever) etc...
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

What what?

I think he means, main menu chat for PA.

As in, if you are in the main menu, you type a message, and everyone else not ingame and in the main menu gets the message.

So, you want to find a game, type in general chat looking for 2v2 partner or something.

And I think it is resource intensive but a good idea, very great to have one.
    RainbowDashPwny and stuart98 like this.
  5. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Where are you getting this? I have never seen an advert in FAF or Gpgnet.
    RainbowDashPwny likes this.
  6. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

IRC integration would be nice for those of us with only 1 monitor :)
  7. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Ugh, global chat >< I think I've turned off most global chat channels in every game I play. Maybe I'm just getting old but I have no patience at all for the crap I see far too often - mudslinging, anal & rape jokes, scammers, bragging, threats ... if you think forums can be bad, at least they're usually moderated!
  8. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Thing is, I barely had any of that when I was in GPG/FAF. It was civil 99% of the time and they were moderated well. This made it awesome.

And you can always opt out.
  9. sycspysycspy

Because there are just too few players out there in FAF and GPG and you have to admit that. They would not take it serious to advertise over there.
  10. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

There are even less player in PA.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Why would über let them advertise in the first place? They wouldn't.
  12. sycspysycspy

I am just saying this global chat thing would bring more trouble than benefit.
  13. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

I miss the battle.net days when I could actually talk to people, meet people, get games going, advertise what type of unique match im making to get people in..

I find it really fucked up how everything is all about being social now, with social media, except all aspects of actual socialization are removed..

Yes to chat channels. If you don't like them, you don't ever have to click the chat button. I agree it shouldn't be on by default like it is for Diablo 3. But that's not how it'd be put in anyway. Especially when this is so easy to implement.

I also think it's worth considering that a smaller niche game like this is going to rely on it's community. Having easy access to talking to people helps that. Having no ability to talk to anyone results in the death of niche games.
  14. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

This is great idea! I used to love hanging around Halycon, more fun than the games sometimes. Please do this!
  15. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

I don't really see the benefit of a global chat channel...

in saying that the only experience with a large chat channel I've had is in the kongregate game chat lobby thing. All I remember is people saying things like: "cool people type j" and 40 people held there face to the j key, then some clever guy said cool people type alt+f4 in about an instant the channel was filled with "blah" and "blah" has disconnected. :/
  16. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

What makes you think Uber have time to moderate in-game chat channels as well as the forums, handling game development, etc?
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am sure community members can be found for that. Seriously this discussion pops up every time someone mentions global chats and I am always surprised when I compare it to reality. What weird chatrooms have people seen that makes them believe these issues are that bad?
    mishtakashi and RainbowDashPwny like this.
  18. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Well .. the only games I play which have global chatrooms (that I'm aware of) are WoW and Diablo 3. Do I need to say any more? :p
  19. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Not gonna lie, I find that completely amusing. That's definitely what they get for acting like that in chat lobbies and blindly trusting other players.

That said, I think a global chat for anyone not in a game and the ability to leave this chat (as well as save the preference) would be a huge benefit for many people thinking about making a game, but not knowing who's actually in the game lobby, if there are any. It was obscenely useful in Diablo 2, which is arguably exactly how I expect it would go down in PA. Talking about hosting / joining games, discussions about replays, galactic war, or anything under the sun. Plus this chat would include those who play but don't frequent or even come to the forums at all.

There are many people likely willing to take on the task of moderating the chat, and plenty of them are mature enough to do so without taking advantage of it. I think it's a good idea overall and the pros outweigh the cons if properly set up and watched.

Edit'd : cuz wording
  20. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Never say never, but I highly doubt we'll include global chat in Planetary Annihilation. Both privately and professionally, few of us here have had positive experiences participating in global chats, creating global chats, and moderating global chats. While some people use them correctly to set up matches or chat about the game, they're more often than not just cesspools where people and bots just go bananas. They provide a bad first impression and are really hard to keep in line.
    towerbabbel, aevs, mered4 and 2 others like this.