Global chat or not?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TehOwn, November 27, 2013.

?

Global chat?

1. Yes, and everyone must join it automatically.

54.5%
  2. Yes, but only if it is opt-in.

36.4%
  3. I'm not sure either way.

4.5%
  4. No, I'm worried it'd be done wrong.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, it's just a bad idea.

4.5%
  1. TehOwn

TehOwn Member

Feel free to post your opinions regarding whether UberNet needs a global chat and how you feel it should be (or shouldn't be) implemented.

Here are MY opinions:

Global can only ever be used for casual discussions because if it is very active, it's easy to miss what people say. Conversations can not be had in global chat, only statements. If there's VERY few people in a community, then it can make sense.

I'm all for a place you can go to have a live chat, like IRC, but not something that is inherent to the interface. A set of channels you can JOIN, sure. Make it so players can create their own and invite their friends.

A good example is what League of Legends has. Opt-in channels that auto-join when you login.
    Tabs along the bottom, light-up when new person joins or new message is received but do NOT pop-up automatically and are OPTIONAL.

If you want to make a channel called, "Spam your garbage here" then feel free, so long as I'm not automatically subscribed to it.

Now, I may seem bitter but I'm just sick of games with enforced global channels flashing away like strobe lighting at a club, only to find such mind numbing drivel that I literally feel what little intellect I have left draining all over my keyboard.

If I do find a global chat enforced upon me, I will dedicate my time between games to filling it with statements about every little thing my cat does and how I feel about it and "it was totally like this time.." and "omg lol jks".

-- Moved replies here --
    • Forum. Global chat is the wrong place to have those kind of discussions, it'd have to be PMed.
    • Host a game with the title, don't advertise it in global.
    • Forum, so you can upload/link the replay and get replies from multiple people.
    In fact, they often are "in real time" as they are done with a simple command like, "/broadcast New livestream starting in 5 minutes. Click HERE to view." (Obviously including code for the link)

The point is that they are screened and not a way for attention-seekers to spam their opinions, tidbits, advertising and other worthless garbage to everyone who is just trying to enjoy a game they purchased.
    Stormie likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

cwarner7264 and brianpurkiss like this.
  3. TehOwn

TehOwn Member

This post was originally from the last thread and I removed it from there so it could be discussed separately.

I'll leave this here for now, it never hurts to have more than one thread for something you feel is important.

Also, my poll is better. :)

But thanks, KNight, you're like a living directory that is ever present and all-knowing.
  4. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

It does Hurt to have more threads on the topic. It hurts the developers. How? Because it makes it harder to reference a good idea in one thread and mention it in another. No one can be on the same page on all the discussion.

One thread mean's everyone is on the same thought process and know all the ideas in the thread, splintering it
    Ruins it.

Regardless of poll choices, its the content and ideas that people bring into the thread that make it good, not the 5 choices that could (not always) contain bias.
    lokiCML and brianpurkiss like this.
  5. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

We've got a lot of new topics cropping up lately which are duplicates.

Are the mods allowed to be more aggressive with merging threads to where they belong?
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I really hope they get more aggressive at merging and closing duplicate topics.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I disagree. The wording of your poll is extremely biased in favour of your own opinion.
  8. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Yeah, for gods sake stop with the duplicates already.