Give us Shields! Come on!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbonx

wbonx Member

What made supreme commander an epic game is shields and exp units.
    Come on give us shields!

It is not true that people would only turtle or play Sim City like. In SC this never happens, you need control of the territory to win.

It happens to often to loose a game for lame reasons because the commander is not under even a single shield.
    Shields would introduce an incredible variety to the game, the game would become easier for noobs and lame player overproducing the whole time would loose against people enjoying a bit of strategy.
    In this way PA is almost as lame as starcraft.

An come on limit the amount of metal... as an old player od every single RTS ever made I have to say PA is quite frustrating, not much strategy and bugged by lame dynamic not due to the early development but intrinsic of the game.
    Looks like everything is about clustering buildings make massive amount of units/nukes and is over, just a matter of being lucky being the first.

Give us shields!!!! Make them expensive but do it!
  2. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

no
    EDIT: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/confirmed-features-list-2-0.44950/#post-698171 go here and look for shields
  3. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Welcome to PA and the forums!

It has been heavily discussed, at the current state of things, shields are a definite no for 1.0, and only a possibility for post release.

I for one find the lack of them leading to a quite interesting game, as there is no one go-to solution to protect your base, it's more about scouting and countering whatever the enemy comes up with.

And this is coming from a person who is in the "noob" camp, and loved shields in supcom to death.
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

If energy shields were to be implemented they would be most likely directional in nature. g.e. no bubble shields. They could be mounted in eventually when the capability is there.
  5. wbonx

wbonx Member

I already saw it.
    Point is that I'm sure every person on earth would agree that would be great to have them, eventually who doesn't could disable them.
    Issue is that apparently the programmers decided not to put the necessary effort to implement them, I'm sure is not that easy, instead there are a lot of superfluous feature...

Game deepness without shields looses 40%.
    As an early backer and old rts player I would reconsider buying the game if I knew they would have lowered so much the level of strategy in the game. Come on having territory control is totally impossible, unless building massive cluster of turrets, that looks just lame, the whole game is reduced to large hordes of units moving around.... starcraft like.
    Quite lame considered the level of strategy reached by SC.

And what's the fun of playing with 4-6 planets when on each one the strategy involved in battles is 0.
    Without shields it is just IMPOSSIBLE to keep an eye on every single planet without getting everything destroyed the second after getting an alert.

No shields = give us back the money, this game is gonna suck.
    raptorhead, BooberSmack and Sparky134 like this.
  6. wbonx

wbonx Member

To rely on scouting in a massively large scale game (multiple planets) is just crazy!

It is impossible to defend the main base.... strategic points on a map and base on multiple planets without having shields!

The whole community (except starcraft players) wants shields.
    Is a feature that then the community can then decide to play with or not.

Point is only that the developer are too lazy to implement them. I'm sure that looking in detail there is not even a phisics engine for bullets (I mean with real trajectory that can actually collide with objects in the middle).
    raptorhead and Sparky134 like this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

No.

And generally, to the thread. No.
  8. lokiCML

....worlds tiniest violin......
    (a joke)
  9. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Lets go back to elementary school: "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"
    Honestly though, if you would have been more professional in your presentation of your opinion on shields I also would have been more professional and explained to you why they won't be in but saying that since there will not be shields that "The game will suck" and "has the same level of strategy as SC" is just wrong and an unbacked opinion, also from you saying that "Without shields it is just IMPOSSIBLE to keep an eye on every single planet without getting everything destroyed the second after getting an alert." I know that you have not played the game and therefore have no idea what you are talking about.
    keterei, corteks and popededi like this.
  10. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

You need to stop assuming that just because something that some immature little *** wants isn't in the game that entire thing sucks, if you are going to assume that this game is crap than just go away.
  11. lokiCML

To be frank people just have to accept the developers have the final say on everything and then move on.;)
    carlorizzante likes this.
  12. wbonx

wbonx Member

Corang, given the way you answer and that I have few decades of experience on forums and rts, I'm quite confident that you are a troll.
    So just don't give me an answer and stop participating in this conversation.

For the others, sorry for the words used, is just that like others I had a lot of expectations from a game that had only to slightly improve supreme commander, but instead came out like a little Frankenstein, with a lot of weird dynamics involved in having to deal with multiple planets and a really soft strategy when comes to fight on the same planet.
    Compare this to other games, take out the planet aspect and well... this game is worst then many others years older.
    cmdandy likes this.
  13. midspark

midspark Member

No. The game is already very slow and methodical. Even more so when the lag starts kicking in late game. And you want to them to implement something else to allow someone to turtle even more, thus delaying the game even longer? No thanks.

Besides, if there's THAT many units that snuck up on you, you deserve to lose. It's not like 200 units can just, very slowly, sneak up on you and destroy one of your main bases/kill your comm.

3/10 made me reply.

Also this.
    someonewhoisnobody and popededi like this.
  14. popededi

I recommend you play a few games, get used to how it works, learn a few strategies, and then form your final opinion.

The game is nothing like starcraft, and has quite deep strategy to it, just give it a chance.

It's also not about lazyness, but I wouldn't want to go into explaining the intricacies of game development at this time, since I'm hungry.
    corteks likes this.
  15. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Okay, fine so you had expectations for this game and some of them were not met, oh well. If you wanted a sup-com like game you should've stayed with sup-com. Also I wouldn't be so hostile if you would stop insulting this game and the developers who have devoted the past 2(?) years to creating, what is in my opinion, a great game, if you have an opinion then speak it, but please do not insult the developers or the game that they created.
  16. wbonx

wbonx Member

This is wrong, it was true when developers where selling you a final product without asking money before.
    Today they got millions of euro (a lot of money for a software house), they made us debugging partecipating in alfa and beta saying that we would have shaped the game all together. They said this was an almost unofficial sequel to supreme commander, all the SC FA comunity got crazy about this.

And then they come out with something missing all the main feature and more stupid then total annihilation when it come to strategy? This is just wrong.

But please stay in topic, let's talk about shields!
    We really need shields! and not a nerfed version, like shields on planets or building, I mean the actual shields that you build next to a strategic point full of metal!

Let's stay in topic please.
  17. popededi

While I agree with your opinion, please try to avoid making a discussion personal. It's just not how we roll in the PA forums, and you probably know this as much as I do.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  18. wbonx

wbonx Member

Corang.
    As I said just stay out of the dicussion please, The way you write sounds too much like trolling.
    Stop replying.

Write me in private if you want to stay out of topic.
  19. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Okay, on-topic
    shields encourage turtling and discourage scouting and attacking - one reason we should not have them
  20. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.