Ghost Friend List

Discussion in 'Support!' started by lordathon, January 31, 2015.

1. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

Hi,

That's not the first time mi friend list just completely remove... If i'm allone with this bug i can understand, but all of mi team mate had this problem once. And i think a lot of players.

When i do a research with the uberbar 'SearchPlayers' to found the players who was in, i cant add. The only option is 'Remove'. But after found the player he appears again on mi friend list but i do anithing...

A solution?

sorry for mi bad english.

Lord
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I had my friends get wiped a few days ago too.
  3. mrman123917

mrman123917 New Member

Same here, have also been wiped, but apparently i think my friend could still see me as one of his, which is a little bit weird
  4. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Your friends list is stored locally, so if you changed computers or deleted certain local files you would lose the list (this is not ideal but I can't really fix it yet). The files live here:

C:\Users\{{{USER}}\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\localstore

Also, have you been using any mods?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Only locally? That is weird. I had this issue myself last week when I started to develop PA Chat. It seemed the usertag map had lost some users, who happened to be my friends. So my PA got updates from the xmpp "xyz is online", but since the user was unknown it did not do anything. I *fixed* it by adding all users I got updates from to my local data. Later I tried to reproduce the issue and failed completely. My *fix* also had various negative side effects, so I did not do more with it, it is commented out in PA Chat.
    When I tried to reproduce I am quite certain I move away my whole local storage and it had the effect that all my settings and everything, as expected, was reset. I first had thought that there is no code that would populate my friendlist again, but magically my friendlist was filled again. I was using a clean new localstorage and PA was started via --nomods, it was not loading any mods for sure.
    Was I seeing ghosts? After that I assumed that there is some code that does add users somehow to the friendlist, most likely the getRoster() function in the jabber.js is involved with it. It just may be buggy in some cases, creating some form of broken state that makes PA ignore certain bits of data it gets from getRoster() while the friendlist is incomplete.
  6. masterdigital

So 'friends' are stored locally and that information is used to make some client decisions, but the xmpp server maintains a list of permissions associated with the each user. If the local info and the xmpp info ever get out of sync... bad things will happen. This problem is augmented by the fact that the xmpp service has often been unreliable.

There is a lot of work that can be done to improve this feature, but I still have plenty of bugs in the system editor, lobby, and in-game UI to work on. I don't know how soon I will get back to social features.
  7. cola_colin

Tripod27 likes this.
  8. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I've been having lots of issues with chat for weeks, where online friends won't appear online for me, or vice-versa, or when I search for a friend their name will come up twice in the results-list. Things like that. Similar root cause, you suspect?
  9. cola_colin

You can try to rename the folder masterdigital named. That way your PA will create a new one with new settings, so any broken data will be gone. Though you will lose all your settings.
  10. cola_colin

Oh about that: Based on the timestamps of the chat history in chat channels it seems the xmpp server is living 7 minutes in the future.
  11. masterdigital

I was wrong, the friends data is stored on PlayFab and backed up locally. So it is possible that PlayFab sent down bad data and that broke the friends list.
    Remy561 and cola_colin like this.
  12. masterdigital

13. cola_colin

that's why I suggested to rename the folder and not delete it. That way you can test with a fresh localstorage and then move back to your old one if you want to. But yeah that parameter exists and it is really really helpful
  14. masterdigital

Fixed.
    Remy561, Raevn and cola_colin like this.
  15. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

@masterdigital only just saw this thread.

In my testing sometimes you login successfully then request the user tag map with /GameClient/GetUserCustomData {"Keys":["uberData.user_tag_map"]} } and it fails with an authentication error even though the X-Authorization header has a valid SessionTicket.

It would be great if you could send and receive incremental changes to the user_tag_map.

[the user_tag_map and all settings moved out of local storage and online with the PlayFab change last year]
  16. Luxaeterna

Luxaeterna New Member

Hi there,

I've been having the friend list issue for a while now. Whatever i do i will lose all my new friend request etc... every time i restart PA. i've still got a friend list from before i could notice this issue but i cannot change it (remove friend).

i tried to rename the local storage folder. PA did create a new one but still got the same problem.

another thing, people that have me as friend in their list can see me.

Don't know what to do.
    Last edited: February 10, 2015
  17. Luxaeterna

Luxaeterna New Member

18. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Been getting my friends list wiped for many months now. Been using dozens of mods during the same period, so I don't know which one is causing it. Got it wiped a few weeks ago, and only have one friend now :oops:. But still get old friends asking me to join their games even if I don't see them.

Edit:
    So mikeyh helped me out by telling me to type "/tryfixfriends" into PA Stats Chat. Which brought all my friends back. Thanks mikeyh!
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
  19. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

If your friends list now appears empty do the following:
    • restart PA to see if they magically reappear
    • check https://palobby.com/ in Chrome or Chromium to see if your friends show in chat on the web
    If you have NO friends showing in both PA and palobby:
    • use the chat /tryfixfriends command in PA (not palobby)
    If friends show in palobby but not in PA then there is a corruption issue. Contact me on chat.
    Last edited: February 25, 2015
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  20. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Some really good stuff! Fixed my friendslist too! Thank you!