Getting Repeatedly Disconnected with Decent Connection Speed

Discussion in 'Support!' started by tohron, October 14, 2014.

1. tohron

tohron Active Member

I've had disconnection problems for a while, but what makes this different is that speedtests were showing a 8-12 Mbps connection speed, yet I often only could control my units for 10 seconds or so in the lategame before everything stopped moving (I could still move the camera, but the units did not update), and I would eventually get a "Disconnected from server" message (if I didn't just close PA and re-launch to try and update the game sooner).

The game was pretty large - I had around 2000 Avengers, mostly protecting Jigs, and about 300 fabbers plus a couple hundred other assorted units on a small lava planet. But previously, disconnects seemed to correspond to a drop in my internet speed, so this was unusual.

On a semi-related note, the "Reconnect" button in the menu failed to update the game; only closing the game, re-launching, and reconnecting allowed me to have a few more seconds of controlling my units before the next inevitable freeze (which gave me enough to eventually win with area nukes). The connection issues did seem to clear up for the last minute or so - it was definitely satisfying to watch the last enemy comm get obliterated by a dozen nuclear missiles, but it didn't quite make up for the frustration in the meantime.

Any ideas what might have been going on?
  2. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I would guess a old foe striked again: Too many goddamn units!
    Without a unit cap this game can overload every computer on the planet. We will run out of adresseable memory on a x64 system long before we get close to the presumed codesode unit cap.

If you alone had aroudn 3k units, we can guess what the other guys had. And there were multiple other guys. Swapping alone can kill 10 people games.
    Apparently you managed to overload the server so thoroughly that it did not even had CPU time to spare to keep the connections alive.
    That the sim and responsiveness speeded up after you killed some enemies confirms that it was likely just the server being totally and utterly overloaded by you guys spamming units like there was no tomorrow.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Run tests on speedtest.net and pingtest.net and post your results.