Getting Black Artifacts

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by GheP, February 1, 2011.

1. GheP

GheP New Member

I don't know if this is an ATi problem or what, but in the place of assassin footsteps and long range turrets smoke puffs I get black, flat artifacts on while playing MNC. It isn't a HUGE deal, but it effects gameplay sometimes when trying to track down an assassin with my rail gun (tank) because this black 'wall' blocks my view for short moments in time.

On a side note -- now this might be due to my overclocking -- I sometimes crash to blue screen in-game. I will try clocking my CPU down to normal, my memory is not overclocked at the moment and I'm still getting mem errors on the BSOD.

My specs:
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9300 @ 3.3Ghz
    Memory: 4GB (DDR2-1066) G.Skill
    Hard Drive: 1TB+
    Video Card: Asus EAH5850 Radeon (1GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card: Asus XONAR DX
  2. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

was i playing against you last nite? sorry i have a terrible memory as far as names go. game name was bro michael
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Hi GheP, the black texture thingy is a known issue and Uber is currently working with ATI on a solution for both the black textures and the crashes. You can try rolling back your Catalyst driver to 10.8. That should fix the crashes for now.
  4. GheP

GheP New Member

haha yea fitzgerald/bro michael you're on my steam friends list now. i'm improving each day i play, we should frag sometime on the SAME team ;)

I'll try rolling back my driver. I actually just got a crash just now and decided to check up on my forums post :D
  5. GheP

GheP New Member

kind of annoying, because i generally only crash when i'm doing well. is there something coded into the game to make skilled players crash their game? :p (j/k obviously!)
  6. Stryfe

Stryfe New Member

I have a similar setup and was getting black artifacts in a few places. Most consistently on smoke from damaged turrets. That was with catalyst 10.5. I upgraded yesterday to catalyst 11.1 and didn't notice any black artifacts yet. I've never had any BSODs in MNC, just the occasional application crash from alt-tabbing.

Might be worth giving catalyst 11.1 a try if you haven't already. Also, download DriverCleaner and clean up old drivers before installing the new version.

My system:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @ 4.0ghz
    Memory: 8GB Patriot DDR3
    Video Card: Asus 5850
    Sound Card: Asus XONAR DX
  7. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

8. GheP

GheP New Member

*** UPDATE ***

I installed new chipset drivers for my motherboard (Asus P5Q). It seems (so far) to have fixed my BSODs and may have been unrelated to MNC causing computer crashes -- although, MNC was the only game/application to cause these BSODs. I'm an avid TF2 and CS 1.6 player and these games never cause BSODs for me *shrugs*.

@Fitzgerald: Awesome I will check out the fps tips.

I tried the Cat 10.8 drivers. It was going smoothly without crashes until just now. For the first time this happened -- I crashed while going from the lobby to the loading screen. May have been lag spike related because I was playing on a high pinging server. WHO knows! Just thought I'd report it.

@Stryfe: I will try out the Cat 11.1 drivers if I get repeated crashes while actually playing. I've still yet to crash in-game while playing with the 10.8 drivers/control center. *crosses fingers*
  9. GheP

GheP New Member

BTW since going back to catalyst drivers 10.8 it has fixed my crashes. i played all day today without a single crash!

artifacts are still there, but it's ok. as long as i don't get crashes close to the end of a long battle and my stats get erased.

thanks!
  10. DeathByVoid

DeathByVoid New Member

These black entities are getting really annoying.
    Especially when sniping or when you see an assassin coming for you.
    Glad to hear they are working on a fix though.
  11. GheP

GheP New Member

Black artifacts have disappeared for me! Thank you Uber Entertainment, you guys rock for fixing this!
  12. mejobloggs

mejobloggs New Member

I'm still getting black artifacts :( All to do with smoke from what I can see

Pretty sure it's not my gfx card playing up. Don't get issues in any other game. Using latest AMD drivers
  13. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

.......................................WHY DID YOU BRING THIS BACK! its going to be fixed in the engine update nothing else can be done i think so we just have to suffer
  14. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I don't get the problem. The black artifacts are like having a hack on you can't do anything about. It's great.
  15. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Pros:
    #1: I can see enemy Assassins pretty easily from anywhere even if I am not paying attention to that area and would have otherwise missed them.

Cons:
    #1: I play Assassin. :(
    #2: Sometimes a single puff of smoke though which it should be easy to see blocks my entire screen and I cant hit my target. This happened the other day, as I backed against the wall next to a smoking Firebase, and when my camera came up to my character a single puff of smoke was big enough to completely blind me for almost a second.

I was taking fire from a Gunner and returning shurikens in the center area of LazeRazor Arena.

But it is pretty rare, and I didnt die, so not a big issue to me.

L. Spiro
  16. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

I have the ATI Mobility Radeon 6370, and I get black artifacts when the world details go beyond low. Occasionally, I would even see a trail of black when Assassins Dash by. The most annoying comes from Gunner's Mortars, a triple dose of black artifacts does not do me well.
  17. Memorable

Memorable New Member

I'm on an ATI Radeon HD 5670. I've had them fixed for quite a while now, by just turning down world detail to low. It kiiind of sucks, but for now it's a fix to the problem because I can't play the game with all those black blobs on my screen.

If anyone hasn't tried that already - try it. It might help out. I can run this game maxed out but when I run it at 1080x720, maxed texture/shadow and world detail on low, the black blobbies don't appear.
  18. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

1 up from lowest and i don't get black artifacts....idk if i should go lowest though, i really like running this game on max so it sucks that i get black clouds when doing so :(
  19. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

I have a 5870, if details are on high i get the black stuff, i just put settings on medium and artifacts go away.

You can use high details with amd card when they update engine in next patch.
  20. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

yep 5870 here to, sucks :(