gamescom

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, August 13, 2009.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/

I was wondering, any of you guys there? My parents live in Cologne and I might take a look (not sure yet). Will Uberent be present? Maybe with some sneek peak material or something?
  2. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

No, they are not at the stage to attend something like that yet. New company and all that. But I do know someone who is there! I don't want to say who because he may not appreciate me telling people. I hope they can start getting out to shows like that! I'd LOVE to go! (and may get to if they do).
  3. Col_Jessep

Well, if you find your way to Cologne maybe you can stay two or three days longer to check out the city. Try some of the local beers, take a look at the cathedral and if you are into history check out the 'Rmisch-Germanisches Museum'. Cologne was founded 38 AD and you can find some seriously old stuff here. Basically if you dig in the city center you are bound to find something Roman (which is usually a big problem if you plan to build anything :D ).
    Wikipedia has some good articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne
    Noteworthy: ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koelsch_(beer)
  4. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

Thanks for not calling me out Nyx considering I went for WB Games. Sorry I didn't get back to sooner so we could have hung-

-Shadow
  5. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

Honestly your place of employment never crossed my mind when I was writing that. I would never divulge something of that nature without permission.

As for getting back... you wouldn't have gotten back in time anyway.

--Nyxy
  6. Col_Jessep

Dammit, chance to get stupidly drunk missed... :mrgreen:
    I decided not to go. SupCom2 was the only game I would have been interested in atm and honestly, the new eco and tech system doesnt look that great. They make the game more casual now, feels too much C&C and too little like SupCom IMO. I always loved TA and SupCom because they had a different tech and resource system then C&C and its clones.

Speaking of C&C, has anybody seen the plans for C&C4? No tiberium, no bases, no harvesters, energy as resource is gone, a rediculous unit cap (10 units per player in a 5v5!!!) and if your crawler and units die you will just respawn. I wonder why they are even calling it C&C4, would have been better to go with C&C Tactics or something.

What is happening to RTS? It seems like everybody is afraid of Starcraft II and throws out all their old but proven concepts. Change and develoment in games is sometimes a good thing but I wonder if they are not moving too fast. They might leave the 'old baggage' behind only to realize that the community and fans havent cought up with their speed.
  7. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

Fear of Starcraft2 is one reason...also the way DoW2 played out recently. RTS scope is just smaller for more micro verse macro actions imho.

-Shadow
  8. Col_Jessep

I didnt follow the progress of DoW2, did it sell well?

The concept they have for C&C4 looks interesting but they shouldnt have put the number 4 behind it, might have been easier for the fans to cope with the changes. :)

Maybe SupCom2 can draw away some of the C&C fans but they might have to compete with Starcraft II.
  9. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

DoW2 has done quite well for the style of RTS and branch away from the main brand that it is.
  10. Col_Jessep

Hmm, so the small scale concept can work out. What I would like to see though is something like sharing command within a team. One player takes over basebuilding and eco and the other player fights. Or everybody can control all units. I tried that in Starcraft with a friend once and it was fun. IMO that would be more interesting than a very low unit cap. You would probably need some sort of VoIP in the game though.
  11. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Simple. C&C4 team is like the 4th generation of C&C devs. They have their own view of the genre, the game and the world.