Gamerscore / Must play Xbox 360 games.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Sm1tty Sm1t, June 11, 2010.

1. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

I'm going to preface the body of my post with: "My name is Sm1tty Sm1t, and I'm an achievement whore."

I've found myself playing games and genres that I'd have never, ever tried had it not been for that 1000 or 200 pts of gamerscore staring me in the face. And because of this, I've found a few REAL gems. Dark Sector, Viking: Battle for Asgard, and Carcasonne, to name a few.

My Gamerscore is nearing 60k now and I'm STILL looking for games -- both for easy achievements and for content/playability. Are there any "must play" games that you think I should try? Sm1tty Sm1t is my gamertag, click on the name to see games that I've played. If theres something I'm missing or a game I havent finished but should, point it out.

And if you post your gamertag (if you arent on my friends list), I will do the same for you.

Recent games like Alan Wake and ME2 are on my radar, but I like buying games a few months after they come out (unless I hype them up myself).
  2. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

I use to be an achievement whore, But then I played The Orange Box and kicked the habit.

I made a promise to only buy games I won't put down after 1 week after I played TF2 for like 8 months straight and only play games that I like now.
  3. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I don't mind challenging myself, but going nuts for achievements is something I don't do. Games like TF2 helped me kick that habbit because of achievements getting me ingame content so there is actually an incentive to achieve them other than bragging rights that become void the moment the people you brag to get it too a few minutes later...
  4. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I have never achieved all the achievements in any 360 game. Closest I've gotten is all but one in Civ:Rev
  5. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Thats gonna change when you get 200/200 in MNC right?
  6. scathis

Probably... the harder ones will be easy for me to get in the first day before everyone is aware.
  7. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

I'm anxious to see what tactics you use for each class ... gonna be fun to try and beat you.
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I only can think of two games I have played that actually featured achievements so far. I never set out to get any achievement and I mostly ignore them. If the core gameplay works for me I don't need an incentive to keep playing and if it doesn't I quit playing anyway. I test most games as a demo or on a friends PC because I'm really picky.

C&C3 didn't last two hours on my PC (the demo) although I absolutely loved C&C Generals and Zero Hour. (Scathis was on the Zero Hour dev team btw, you guys did a beautiful job!) If I can't find a good new game I'll just play some of the old ones I have. That's why I have Strong Opinions about DRM: If I can't play it without hassle in a couple of years I usually won't bother getting it. :D I just played through MechWarrior3 again, so much better than the 4th part imo! And last but not least TA and FA, I will play those games for years to come!

But back to achievements: They are a nice idea and will add to a good game but as long as they are not combined with some ingame advantage I won't loose a nights sleep over them.
  9. scathis

Yup!
    I designed most of the units for the 9 Generals and improved the AI over the base Generals one.
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

My gamer score is currently 6229. That's without chasing a single achievement. If I happen to hit upon them then so be it but I never look at them otherwise.
  11. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Oh I do. In the original Xbox / old school PC days (talking Doom, Doom 2, Kings Quest 1-6) I used to cheat ... just mow through everything because I ***SUCKED*** at games.

With the invention of the "Look how good of a gamer I am" system, it's driven me to do MUCH more than I would have years ago. I explore, try different things, etc ... And I love it.
  12. Col_Jessep

<3! The challenges were awesome fun and the AI was great! I think I might go digging up the game sooner or later again, it has been too long since I heard 'The Bringer of Light' and gave shoes to my workers.
  13. scathis

I always loved "Mines are dangerous for China" from the builders clearing mines.

That and "I love my shoooooeeess"
  14. Col_Jessep

That was insane fun! And all the special skills of the heroes were awesome too. I loved sniping the drivers out of heavy tanks or to get the neutron gun upgrade for the Bringer of Light. I drove people insane with taking over their units on our LAN.
    Too bad they never made a sequel.