Game Unexpectedly Closes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by SovietxJew, May 4, 2016.

1. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

So I get about 2-5 minutes into a new game and the game will without cause or reason close itself and makes it so I can't play but only when I get into a game. Not sure whats up. No crash log or anything it just closes.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The logs you should be able to find in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log" (Just copy-paste that in the address bar of File Explorer).
    Your DxDiag.txt seems ok (except for the many crash reports at the end, Steam itself seems to be having a hard time as well).

Can you check the list of incompatible software?
    https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software
  3. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

All the programs that I did have on that list I got rid of prior and still had the issue and here are all the logs from that folder

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Weird. Lots of errors from FMOD in those logs. Do you hear any audio in the game at all?
    Next question, do you use GoG Galaxy? If so, could you try uninstalling that as a test?
  5. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

I have zero audio not sure why I neglected to mention my bad. and no gog galaxy.
  6. DeathByDenim

Can you try running PA with the --no-audio launch parameter? You can set those in Steam by right-clicking on PA and choosing properties. If the crashing stops then that would mean that the crashing is related to the audio issues.
  7. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

Its unfortunately still crashing...
  8. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

Not quite sure if I had set the parameters correctly for no music.
  9. DeathByDenim

Do you have a new log? It should show if you set it correctly.
  10. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

These are the three times I tried.

Attached Files:

11. DeathByDenim

Thanks. Yeah, that seems ok. The audio errors disappeared.
    What happens if you start PA from outside of Steam? The executable should be here: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x64".

Sorry that it's so annoying for you. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why it shouldn't run. I'm just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't at this point.

Another thing you can try is to scan your system files for corruption using the sfc tool that comes with Windows. Instructions for that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
  12. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

The same thing happened When I tried it outside of steam. I am doing the system scan currently. And yeah its kind of annoying but honestly I would rather go through the trouble and be able to play the game I really enjoy rather than have wasted money and be sad that I can't play it.
  13. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

So I did the scan and the game runs a little bit better I have sound now and I can get a good 5-10 minutes in before I crashes on me.

Attached Files:

14. DeathByDenim

Great! Progress! The logs have changed as well and now complain only about network troubles. And there is one count of failing to load an effect file. So in Steam, could you verify the integrity of the game cache? Instructions are here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
    As for the network trouble, do you have any firewalls or virus scanners that could interfere with PA? As a test, could you try disabling them and see if the crashing continues?
  15. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

So I verified the game cache and I got about 15 minutes into a game before it crashed on me with my firewall on and this is what happened.

Attached Files:

16. SovietxJew

SovietxJew New Member

I think it may have been a problem with steam so I am uninstalling and reinstalling.