Game running less than 1 FPS on an Titan SLI

Discussion in 'Support!' started by oni222, June 18, 2013.

1. oni222

oni222 Member

Hi,

Before I start let me say I am proud to have paid $200 for this game. I have high hopes for this game!

Now I understand this game is an alpha and as a long time beta tester I know what to expect from an early product. That being said I made this thread just so that I can see if there any other people having the same issue as me and if there are then hopefully we can find a solution.

When I launch the game I stare at a black screen window for about 5 minutes and after that I finally see the log in screen. Fraps is showing somewhere between 0 and 1 FPS and it takes a full minute before anything I select on the menu actually shows up.

My system specs are:

Nvidia Titan SLI
    FX 8350
    32 gig 2133mhz ram
    Three screen surround setup running at 3820x1200.

Windows 8 64 bit.

I am running the latest Alpha version (49595) but every version I have tried has had the same issue.
  2. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Hmm, I have had a similar problem with a lesser card, if you have 32gb of video ram, then it's definitely not an insufficient VRAM issue that is causing the symptom. However, whether or not the ram you listed is VRAM is ambiguous, mind clearing up how much VRAM you have exactly?
  3. oni222

oni222 Member

I have 32 gigs of Ram.

My Video Ram is 6gigs of DDR5 per card. Since SLI loads the same textures on both cards you don't really get 12 gigs.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I wonder if it is related to SLI. I just had somebody with a laptop with a GT 330 M and after updating his drivers he said he got decent fps on low. My GTX 650 TI runs pretty damn well since the performance update.

Can you please upload a DxDiag for the developers.

PS: Coming to think of it, doesn't Total Biscuit run a Titan SLI build for his videos?
  5. PringleMan

PringleMan Member

I have a two GTX 460 cards running in SLI ~just~ fine on my desktop at home. And the ATI Radeon Mobility 6650M that I have in my laptop ran it decently for a while until I found someone else. I do not think he is having a hardware problem from the graphics or RAM side. Plus even though it is only a couple of weeks in, I think if there was a problem with SLI or Crossfire support that would have cropped up by now since so many people use it.

I wonder what the source of the problem is, maybe the processor is doing something wonky with Windows 8. I don't think so since the FX-8350 is such a beast, but you never know.
  6. Brokenshakles

I have SLI on my laptop MXM3.0b setup, but I generally don't have it activated since linux support for this feature is shoddy.
  7. oni222

oni222 Member

I have been running this SLI setup for a few months without any issues. The only thing I have recently changed was the RAM so I removed it and put in my old sticks (16gigs 2133mhz). I tried running the game again and still the same 0-1 FPS on fraps.

As requested my DXDIAG is attached.

Attached Files:

8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We have a Titan in the office and the game runs amazingly on it, but we haven't tested SLI in the office at all. Can you try disabling one of the Titans and see if you still have issues?
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yeah, I have a Titan in my main work machine and it's fine. It's not SLI though.
  10. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Jesus christ two titans, you must have money :lol:

I'd bet its the SLI, I have seen numerous complaints where people can't play games properly in SLI/crossfire cause its not properly supported(I'm a technician of sorts)

Like Ben asked, disable one Titan and see what happens.
  11. zylvird

zylvird New Member

This may help: Yesterday I did some tests on my SLI which caused fps drops. It seems, at least in my case, not to activate the surround for dependent screens and not a resolution in 5760 * 1080 caused my fps drop. Activate Surround or deactivate a card solve the problem for me (mainly fps drop on loads of textures).

I hope it can help you oni222

I5-2500k 3.5 Ghz
    2 GTX 570 on SLI
    8 Gigs RAM
  12. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

I'm running a GTX690 and if I force SLi it doesn't like it so im guessing it is the SLi thing. Try just running a single Titan
  13. aeonsflux

aeonsflux New Member

I'm also running a titan but not in SLI. i had massive fps lag problems last night playing but not sure if it was just a once off and network issue. will try again later
  14. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Why the hell was this duplicate thread made? there's already a thread on the fps situation

Anyways the fact you guys in the office are getting normal performance on the titan is disturbing. I thought this was an all around thing.

So what's up. wich driver is uber using on the titans? I downgraded from 320.18 to 314.22 and stopped most of the graphical tearing that way.
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm running whatever drive installed when I put the titan in about a month ago.

Game works fine. Again it's not SLI though.
  16. Brokenshakles

FPS is a bit better with monday's release, I think the problems stem from the fact the game is being built on the latest hardware, and many people are trying to use older models with different drivers. I would presume that the symptoms of this can be alleviated, but real optimization is the last step in engine coding, after code path usage has been profiled. So we will have to deal with it until then.
  17. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

I am running a Single 580 but I would like to know what driver you are running on your Titans. I am still running 314.22 and have not updated to 320.18. This is because I also Play hawken and have not tested any performance for updating my Tutorial. But as I said maybe it has something to do with Drivers?
  18. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I'm not on SLI and neither are alot of people who have more than decent hardware, but still have problems.

I thought these problems were normal but some people run the game just fine like in Uber's office. so there must be a 'correct' setup.
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

You'll probably have to wait until Nvidia adds an SLI profile for Planetary Annihilation, until then SLI will likely be only as good as a single card, or worse.

Also, Titans in SLI? What kind of monster are you?
  20. Brokenshakles

Same here, I'm on Hardware I bought two years ago, and I'm not running SLI either. However, I'm still getting an unplayable slideshow.