Game Mode: Chronological Unlock

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by gatekeeperyork, May 23, 2013.

1. gatekeeperyork

gatekeeperyork New Member

Would be interest in seeing a game mode (though this could be a mod) where teirs of units are unlocked in eras. Eras being adjustable periods of game time.

e.g.
    Nuke tech only available after 30 mins
    space travel only become available after 40 mins

Possible reasons:
    -I played Starcraft 2 and just had to stop as unless you play like a madman you lose.
    -FAF is not so bad, but again can be hard to play relaitivily causually.
    -It could help newer players not get overwheelmed with all the tatics.

Though it would not stop a better player from building resources to take advantage of the unlock.

Just a thought ...
  2. acey195

acey195 Member

If you think about it, building the required buildings to build up to tech like nukes requires time. So there is already a soft time requirement for things like nukes. Sure you could rush towards them, but that would leave you less developed in other areas, which the opponent can also use to his advantage.

Hard time requirements for things like these are things for mods I think ;)
  3. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

What about a unit limit?
    For example you could not have more than 10 tanks before 20 minutes.
  4. kmike13

kmike13 Member

so in a game that says there will be no unit limit and pledges huge massive battles, you want to limit the number of units to 10 for 20 minutes?
  5. veta

veta Active Member

OP basically wants an RTS that is not micro demanding or strategically demanding.
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Just like in Defcon?
    I don't think it fits our type of RTS. It's more of a tactic and micro thingy.
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Do you really think this would be fun? No rush is no fun for the same reason (forced limited expansion).
  8. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Sure. Of course there would be a limit on how much metal and energy you can produce.
    A maximum of 10 metal/s every 10 minutes seems fine.
  9. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

This system is too arbitrary for me. This system is very prone to being used as a lazy fix for balance and game pacing problems. If nukes are overpowered and banned for the first 30 minutes then it sounds reasonable to try banning them for the first 35 minutes. After a while we are left with a game full of seemingly arbitrary unlock times.

Timed unlocks would hamper the natural evolution of a game by introducing a significant mechanic which no player is able to affect.
  10. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This, unit limitations and no rush are some of the dumbest options to play RTS games with IMO.
  11. veta

veta Active Member

supcom style no rush is fine. i dont use it but people like it and it certainly isn't like what the OP described.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Just mod it.
  13. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Sorry, i was just a bad troll.
    I thought reaction would be more intense :)
  14. sokolek

sokolek Member

Your idea would make PA for turtles only. This is really stupid idea!!! It would slow down good players. What if someone is so good that he can get nuke in 7min? Then he wouldn't be so good because he would have time handicap hanging on him. That's goofy. In my opinion construction and strategy should be bounded by 2 factors only:

1) Player's intelligence and his strategy (how well and in what order player organizes construction with his assets).
    2) construction speed (this includes availability of resources and how fast given number of engies and factories can pump up new structures and units).

If someone is good player and can get nuke or escape the planet fast, then he shouldn't be penalized for that by some turtle standing with a stopwatch saying "nah, it's to early for nuke or space travel for you."
  15. sokolek

sokolek Member

1) What's the meanining of 10metal/s every 10 min? What if a tank costs 100000metal? It would take about 1h to produce a tank at income rate that increases 10metal/s/(10min).

2) Why good players should be penalized? Saying "you can't do it at this time, because it is not a time for this" is just penalizing and restricting good players for being good, fast and furious. Simple lock is a goofy limitation. There should be some kind of tech tree -not just countdown to unlock. My point is that quality of your gameplay should determine what and when you get certain stuff, not stupid rules.