Game is still unexplored?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by netpyxa, January 15, 2016.

1. netpyxa

netpyxa Active Member

I m watching a few casts with the games.

People dont do:

-use combat fabbers to repair
    -use pelicans to inferno drop
    -use the T2 missile plane properly
    -use Wyrm+ Angel self repair combo(should wreck Galatas pretty badly)
    -i dont see Kestrels
    walmartdialup and cdrkf like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Everyone writes PA of as not having enough diversity and strategies, yet most never actually try anything outside of the norm :p
    Nicb1, MrTBSC and huangth like this.
  3. netpyxa

netpyxa Active Member

Exactly... so many units still not explored
  4. oksidi

oksidi New Member

There are reasons people don't do these things you suggest. While combat fabs are useful in early game due to small army sizes it still takes 30 metal/second and that might make you stall which is never good but i admit they are not useless. Pelican+inferno while devastating when dropped into your opponents pgen farm requires micro and good planning it is also countered easily by radar and by paying attention. The Hornet is expensive,kinda weak,slow and T2. Its missiles overkill some units and while its range is larger than the galatas it requires micro so it doesn't move in range of AA or get sniped by fighters. Its better used against bases but why not get T2 tanks and use them to do the same. Wyrm+Angel while it sounds nice is terribly expensive so it is not an early game combo and 1 Angel can only do so much vs multiple galatas or fighters. The only problems with Kestrels are the need of air control and T2 factory. They have enough hp and dps to take on spinners and they are not slow so if you do happen to get T2 air they are the best choice if you don't need T2 fighters.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

1. That's cause cfabs are made of paper and are also expensive. If they had more HP they'd be used.
    2. +1, I'm really not sure why people don't do this.
    3. There's no way to use it, it's made of paper and it's not hard for fighters to kill them before they die.
    4. Wyrm is horribly slow and angel is quite expensive.
    5. I see a few kestrels, but they simply don't have the impact that levelers or even bluehawks have in terms of changing the game dynamics.
  6. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

1. i use combat fabbers all the time.
    -they make your army especially in early game much more effective combined with inferno's
    -in need of metal resources? they are at the front lines to reclaim fast extra mass
    -army farther and need reinforcements? a gate is build within a second
    -mines are a good option for trapping people altough i never use it and never have used it against me cuzz i always have scouts with my army as well

2.pelicans are horribly fast destroyed and because of drop off it takes them to long to build. unless they make a unit transport that can at least carry 4 units at a time no one will use them.

3. micromanagement let's people lose the game more easily (except zeus unfortunatly). if u attack from 2 or 3 diffrent sides at once it will always be much more effecive then when you are micro managing one group.

4.i have used the combo but rarely, because you need quite a lot of them and fighters can easily raid your base and kill them. by the time you have the force needed tanks will already have done the job.

5. i see a few kestrals but almost never in high groups.
    prob is it is a t2 unit but doesn't feel that way. people who relie on air much have found there enemies build up their anti air capabilities wich gives the gunships almost no playground anymore.
    They are only slightly better at the job compared to a bomber squad and bombers are cheap t1 units.
  7. huangth

huangth Active Member

Stitch:
    I do use combat fabricators to repair, placing mine, and detecting the mine.
    And I frequently use them to reclaim wreckage.

Pelicans:
    I mainly use them to transport vehicle fabricators.
    It is very useful to do this in early game.

For inferno dropping, transporting stitch and making a teleporter is much more powerful than that.

Hornet:
    The problem of this unit is that it is just too slow.
    And it is too expensive to build and protect.

Wyrm:
    It is as the same as the Hornet.
    This unit is just too slow.
    Unless your enemy doesn't make air force and he doesn't scout,
    it is very difficult to make damage to your opponent.

Hornet and Wyrm are not the units which is cost effective.
    And I simply give up these two units.

Kestrel:
    It is a very useful unit.
    Unlike the bomber, it doesn't need to fly over its target since it has a weapon range.
    Player can just control them and fly near to the enemy army or buildings.
    Then the Kestrel can target the enemy units automatically.
    It is much more effective to clear the ground when enemy spread out its ground units,
    while the bomber is only effective to dense groups.

Kestrel can't target the submarine, but bomber can.
    Their functionality are still different.
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I LOVE pelican inferno drops! I've won a few 1v1 games with that strat. With early scouting if you see that the commander is exposed, and if you already have air and vehicle factories you only need about 4-6 infernos to take out the comm!
  9. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

10. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Never thought of that one. Thanks for the idea!
  11. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

You just need a lot of time and eco to do this combo...
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The skill level of PA is quite low at the minute. That said, the best players will use combat fabbers and drops. But it's the kinda thing that is not really needed to do to win against the average gamer. Wouldn't mind a big prizes 1v1 tournament to spark some life into the 1v1 scene: and for uber to fix the ladder.
    ljfed likes this.
  13. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

The ladder doesn't do much to encourage players to play ladder for sure.
    I personally have done all of these things.
    I do think we are in a sad state of affairs where varied unit compositions arent all that necessary in ranked play. I've had great games against otheruber players, but as it has been said, against most players just going about a match using a superior understanding of basic mechanics will win you the game. Most players can't handle a basic build order paired with a basic offense and a well placed radar. Winning the macro game will always be the only advantage you need. Having a better economy and using it well is the only cheese i really need.
    That being said, combats fabs used for reclaim and mines are their true usage. Eliminating power with drops will win you games even if you fall behind on metal. Nano bots are probably the best unit in the game. I've learned this from qzipco. Even though it is not reflected in your income, you really do get a ridiculous amount of metal from the :p
    The only players that cana challenge me though are theones who understand the very basic fundamentals of the game. Unit compositions really only play a role when players of equal eco knowledge go head to head.
    The most micro i have to worry about is usually early game harassment. Usually the most important "cheese" needed will be sniping fabs and taling out metal :p
  14. xankar

xankar Well-Known Member

Now that's just being ignorant.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. netpyxa

netpyxa Active Member

Well the matches ive been watching recently in the bad bots cup show rly good plays. Rly this game is amazing and very well designed it just has everything that is required of an awesome streaming economy strategy game.

I just hope people would host balanced map/player set ups more often. Like 2v2 or 3v3 single planet etc. I dont think this game handles 2+ planets well because the micro burden is too high and the incomes become way too high as well. Its just not a good idea imo
  16. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Multiplanet systems working pretty fine in PA. Yes, gameplay very different with single planet. You need to know orbital rush tactics,need to use 2nd camera, need in highter APM and micro. Many people just don't want to learn this really. Its why we have 10 people games where everyone doing wrong very often.
  17. huangth

huangth Active Member

I want to correct my comment of hornet.
    I find out that it is still useful in water planet.

For water planet, the main units are naval units which are slow, high HP, and expensive.
    Hornet seems to be better than bumblebee when dealing with the surface naval units.
  18. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Hornets working not bad if you need to outrange enemy's AA
  19. jackburton176

jackburton176 Member

I've seen a few Leveler drops used to snipe a commander
  20. Qzipco

Qzipco Active Member

I think pa reached a new fase with the comm reclaiming. This gives players the opportunity to make new build queues, strategies etc. If every player just tries some cheese and not use the mainstream tactic every single gamw, then we would have new builds every week.
    NikolaMX and furballman like this.