Game hangs on start

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by ottovoncheesebiscuit, September 2, 2014.

1. ottovoncheesebiscuit

ottovoncheesebiscuit New Member

Ubuntu Linux 14.04, 8GB RAM, Intel® Quad Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, AMD Radeon 7870 with fglrx (proprietary) drivers.

PA worked for me two updates ago, but as of when I updated to 70289, I can no longer start the game.

When I start PA, a window for "Planetary Annihilation" pops up, it stays clear, and after a few seconds turns the "unresponsive grey"

Hitting the close button pops a window saying "This program is unresponsive" with buttons "Wait" and "Force Quit"

Updated to 71459, same issue.

The log seems unhelpful.

Code:
    [16:37:47.624] INFO Log file /home/ian/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log/PA-16-37-47.624.txt opened
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Loading mod : server_browser_show_cheat_servers
    [16:37:47.625] INFO LoadedLocalModCollection::loadLocalModCollection: Failed listDir call for "/home/ian/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/mods"; no mods will be loaded from this path
    [16:37:47.625] WARN LoadedLocalModCollection::loadLocalModCollection: Could not open /home/ian/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/mods/mods.json file; mods will not be mounted
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Client loaded 1 mods, mounted 0
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Loading mod : cheat_allow_mod_data_updates
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Loading mod : cheat_allow_change_vision
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Loading mod : cheat_allow_change_control
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Loading mod : cheat_allow_create_unit
    [16:37:47.625] INFO LoadedLocalModCollection::loadLocalModCollection: Failed listDir call for "/home/ian/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/server_mods"; no mods will be loaded from this path
    [16:37:47.625] WARN LoadedLocalModCollection::loadLocalModCollection: Could not open /home/ian/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/server_mods/mods.json file; mods will not be mounted
    [16:37:47.625] INFO Starting async parallel for driver with 3 threads
    It's a fresh install, with no mods or cheats installed. Didn't know that was a thing yet.

So, "INFO Starting async parallel for driver with 3 threads" seems to be the key issue there... whatever that means. I can't find any reference to what that is. Is it a graphics driver issue maybe? I did have problems that one time, where a system update switched it back to the X.Org drivers, but I have tried it with both the "fglrx" and the "fglrx-updates" with the same result.

I have had "black screen" problems in the past, but the "--software-ui" worked then, but this isn't that issue.
    I also read about people having it go "unresponsive grey" but the game still runs, but that's not what is happening here either.

Edit: I have tried it both with the "--software-ui" and without. Same both ways.
  2. gerii

gerii Member

3. ottovoncheesebiscuit

ottovoncheesebiscuit New Member

After some headache figuring out why the AMD installer was error-ing out. Turns out it needs both "debhelper" and "xserver-xorg-dev" packages installed first.

Now, it works with the "--software-ui" mode.

Thanks!