Game freezing at mounting client mods

Discussion in 'Support!' started by olionkey, August 1, 2016.

1. olionkey

olionkey New Member

When I start up the game it will freeze on mounting client mods. All of my drivers are to the recent update. Have tried reinstalling the game multiple times, tried after a clean install of windows. Also tried running steam in admin. But nothing seems to get it back mounting client mods. Any tips to fixing it?
    Here is a log, and the DxDiag as requested.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

When you start PA with the --nomods flag, does it still freeze? You can set that launch parameter by right-clicking the game in Steam and go to Properties. Can you post the log for that session as well?
  3. olionkey

olionkey New Member

I have tried what you said, by using the launch parameter, but it was no luck still stuck at mounting client mods. I also never have once played the game so i have no mods installed what so ever.

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Could you go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation"? You can copy-paste that into the address bar of File Explorer. There should be a folder called "download" there. Could you delete that and try again?

If that doesn't work, can you check the list of known incompatible software? You can find it here: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software
    If you have nothing on that list, also try the clean boot option mentioned at the end.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

This could also be a name error. Does your username have any strange characters? Oh just read what it was, are spaces allowed in names @DeathByDenim ?
  6. olionkey

olionkey New Member

It couldn't be the username because it is just Mizzle Grizzle, and before it was just Olionkey and it still didnt work.
  7. olionkey

olionkey New Member

I have deleted that file, and try to run it but it didn't work. I do have one of the incompatible software, it is Kaspersky. I have added the .exe of planetary Annihilation to it, but it still didn't run.
  8. DeathByDenim

Can you also try the clean boot?

@clopse : Yeah, spaces are allowed. It's just UTF16 characters that break PA, I think.
    Clopse likes this.
  9. olionkey

olionkey New Member

So doing a clean boot, starts the game up instantly, and no issue at all. Am wondering will it be possible to get around having to do a clean boot so I could play the game?
  10. DeathByDenim

Ah, great! Yeah, the clean boot is just a diagnostic tool. It just confirms that there is a program on your computer that is somehow interfering with PA. The task now is to identify which program that could be. So the clean boot involves disabling everything, but you can also disable just a select view. The quickest way to identify the offending program is to disable half of them, then reboot and see if you still have trouble. If you do still have trouble, then the offending program is in the half that is still enabled, if you don't, then it was in the half that you disabled. So you know know in which half of the program the offending programs is. Then half that selection again and repeat until you are left with just one program.

And when you find it, please report back so I can add it to the list of incompatible software.