Galactic war is still unplayable

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by fine, February 13, 2015.

1. fine

fine New Member

It seems that the "complete orbital tech" is still a random unlockable. This leaves majority of multi-planet systems where the AI gets/has a foothold on another planet unplayable as depending on random chance you cannot assault a fortified planet.
  2. jables

jables Uber Employee

We'll be getting the T2 interplanetary fighters and unit cannons in GW in the next update. This should help in these situations.
  3. fine

fine New Member

But T2 is also dependent on random tech drops?
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

You can use mass astreaus drops to invade other planets

There also is a mod I think which grants the unit cannon, you can find it in PA mod manager (see sig)
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

GW will be reworked soon, I heard
  6. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Unplayable is kinda over exaggerated. I made it through a large GW without even finding the complete orbital tech on the 2nd hardest difficulty.
  7. theseeker2

I did it without advanced tech, air, or advanced orbital...
    I had 4 subcommanders though, :^)
  8. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

It's just a matter of rushing orbital right from the start and then trying to hold a tele up for a while.
  9. theseeker2

build 20 bolos and 20 spinners to secure the position for a few seconds, and then send in a solid 100 infernos to kill everything, that is what I do.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Is this the extent of the changes you teased at in the recent update, or can we expect something more substantial come March and beyond? I personally am hoping it is the latter, as I think GW is about the only thing left that needs a bit of love before PA can really stand tall with the RTS greats.
    Tripod27 likes this.
  11. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

At the rate they go I doubt it.
  12. jables

jables Uber Employee

This is not tied to what I was talking about in the teaser.
    cdrkf, drz1, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

It would be fun to have a tech card that allowed T1 fighters and T2 bombers and gunships to also be interplanetary ^^
  14. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Well i have to say that he is kinda right, it is unplayable because of its huge randomness. And to be really honest i hate it, i have tried to play it many times but it just sucks. I can now name everything that bothers me about it, but it has been said multiple times now.

the only thing i do now is hope that they will remodel the thing so its far less random, or not random at all and there for more fun to play ^^
  15. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I was going to make a long post here about the subject, but figured I'd sperg out in a new thread than to a random comment, you might like some of my ideas though, especially if you ever played star wars battlefront's "galactic conquest" mode

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/galactic-war-suggestion.67937/
  16. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Rng is rng. I've had many games the complete opposite, unplayable. This should NEVER happen. It blows my mind it even used to be possible. Gives you an idea of how unpolished and half baked the game mode was. Yes it's semi better now, but it's not great.

Honestly the current tech system should be scraped and a new progression system should be put in place. Skill trees or something would be a lot more fun and less random. Galactic War needs a complete overhaul in its current state anyway. The mode is very repetitive, most games are waaay to easy with a select few being waaay to hard with a huge difficulty spike when 6 commanders are introduced. System design is boring as hell with no variations. No custom made scenarios like you would expect from a campaign. No narrative what so ever. Huge disappointed all together.
  17. fishtickler

fishtickler New Member

Who cares about Galactic war anyways. It should of been designed for the multiplayer community in the first place. I hope they sink no more money into it or time.
    The multiplayer community is the only thing that's keeps these type of rts games going. As seen by the evolution of forged alliance to forged alliance forever . So if anything create a galaxy real people can fight over . As seen by Total annihilation the predecessor to this rts genre type.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

See that's the thing about opinions, everyone has a different one.

And I feel the EXACT opposite to yours.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  19. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Uber are going to give Galactic War some love in an update soon, end of March I think they said a while back. Looking forward to seeing what they're going to do, especially with it coupled with the save/load ability which should be coming before the GW update (correct me if I'm wrong). Would be nice to play a huge game against the AI with the ability to pause for interruptions and save it etc.
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Well the thing is it wasn't RNG. You had the astreus which you could build without new tech and with the first loadout. My guess is that it's unplayable/beatable for you because you neglect adapting to orbital early to deal with multiple commanders on different planets. "It blows my mind it even used to be possible" That makes no sense to me. back then the AI was not as smart as it is now.

With that said, I'm not a veteran RTS player or anything. PA was the first RTS game I played online against other people.I usually would play AI games on supcom 2 or C&C 3. So again, Unplayable is an over exaggeration. (Not directly attacking you if it seems that way)