Galactic War Difficulty...

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by namelesst, June 9, 2014.

1. namelesst

namelesst Member

So I just finished an Uber, Nightmare, galactic war on my first try and met little to no opposition from the ai.

There will be harder versions once it gets more developed? Every invasion rolled out the same way. Build a base, steam roll the ai forces on starting planet and then consolidate your forces. queue an army using a 2:1 or 3:1 tank and aa mix on a gate, land 20 fabbers with the astraus and immediate build a gate queued to link... Set target gate to "patrol" and your units will form a defensive circle around the offensive gate, intercepting any air or army trying to destroy it. Sit back and laugh as the planet is enveloped in a (insert your colour here) ring destroying everything in it's wake, start at your gate and ending on the opposite side of planet. Similar to how the asteroid impact animation works, only slower.

Every fight against the 3 enemy factions rolled out the exact same way. Make a bee line for the center of the planets, kill the leader, harvest the tech from the now abandoned planets, repeat.

Every planet was land, eliminate, chase last commander to second planet (if he made it that far) and eliminate before they establish any real defense on the moon.
    Every boss fight was more or less the same except securing the first planet was typically easier and the 2nd and 3rd planets were slightly harder.

Economic techs are just overpowered beyond measure. XD
    Sub Commander is ridiculously useful. always seems to beat enemy ai in a 1v1 when they spawn on same planet alone. Even had 1 stand up in a 2v1 without being too mangled before I got reinforcements to him from a very distant planet.
    Ai has no clue how to defend itself from orbitals.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  2. bjredcat

bjredcat New Member

I have quite an expirience having played almost any RTS game, since Dune 2. And ofcourse all of the glorious Total Annihilation games. I've been playing PA for around 15 hours now and couldn't finish a galactic war game until now. Not even small normal ones.

They all ended by me getting smacked in the face by a planet. Even though I have to admit, it would have been doable otherwise.
  3. namelesst

namelesst Member

Really?
    Did you play any of the other games competitively? Although I disagree with starcraft 2 being classed as a strategy game, I do have to admit it helped me a lot with macro/micro focus. TA and SupCom 2 i found failed to really show me what I was doing wrong.

What techs were you keeping and what ones were you deleting?
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Try the PTE build, with an epic size and absurd difficulty (not the uber size, they didn't account for a galaxy that massive with their deck, you'll mostly get additional slots and some sub-commanders. The epic size in the pte patch is the same as the uber size in the live patch).

The ai has many more commanders, and much more of an eco boost (maybe because of this or otherwise they seem more aggressive). It's actually a reasonable challenge, you tend to have to beat them quickly or risk getting overrun a little while later. Even the popcorn battles between faction leaders seem less grindy, you have to think about invading single planet systems first to get some decent cards before trying multi-planet (which is riskier). Getting smashed is a real possibility, early enough that you should think ahead to try and pre-empt it.

I like it, but there should be a difficulty level beyond that. Good players can beat absurd difficulty (and may even have fun doing so ;)), I want something even good players will struggle with.
  5. thepastmaster

thepastmaster Active Member

So in the PTE higher difficulty = More enemy commanders per system?
  6. trialq

More commanders, and more eco boost. BTW it looks like they fixed the deck for uber sized galaxies, although you may find smaller galaxies harder due to less free cards at the start, and you get to faction leader battles quicker.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The AI is actively being worked on.... all I'd say is knowing some of Sorian's previous work (SupCom AI's) be prepared for the final AI, when left unhindered being essentially unbeatable...

I will enjoy all of the 'AI is OP' and 'AI *MUST* cheat' posts when people loose too often to it :)
    welshenzie likes this.
  8. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

The Devs have said that the AI especially the interplanetary logistics are still unfinished, god help us when it is finished!
  9. knub23

knub23 Active Member

I don't like the way GW handles difficulty. I play on the highest now in the stable build and started with the Orbital commander (because why not?). I had to restart several times until I found the right tech before the first fight because with just Orbital units/buildings it is simply impossible to win* versus 2 hard AI (one of them with 3.0 eco boost). Now I got T1 vehicle and 1 subcom, which allows me to handle the attacks and then build anchors to crush the AI base. It is challenging but just the same over and over again, because I'm forced into 1 tactic by the tech-tree. Real difficulty would mean that the game challenges me without cheating and/or reducing my possible strategies so much.

*(I guess I could rush to leave the planet and then fortify the other planet with anchors to prepare a SSX snipe, but I don't want to play several hours every game)
  10. namelesst

namelesst Member

It should be more than giving the ai an economy boost. I always hated games that gave an economy boost and called it a harder ai. It was simply a richer stupid ai....

The galactic war feels wrong right now. every planet is hitting an enemy with no developments or defenses. They've already screwed with our tech tree. Why not give the defending ai some infrastructure/patrols and give us a small force to defend our early workers with? Spice it up. cards would be to influence our starting dropped units or something like that, without interfering with our techs. If I am supposed to be some almighty, intelligent machine, I am going to be building myself a flash drive before I would be deleting some potentially very useful data....

I am really not a fan of the limited tech tree. Chances are I'm only going to do a few things over and over because they work best, and forcing me to select and keep only certain cards is only going to re reinforce that. Once you have tanks the game is almost over, once you have tanks and advanced orbital, the game is over. No planet or enemy force(s) will resist you... add some sub commanders and you don't even need to do anything.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

If I'm not mistaken, only the absurd/nightmare AI has an econ boost, the relentless AI is normal and the others are nerfed.

not sure exactly how it works though.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I want the AI to be unbeatable without cheating. Yea, going to accept that challenge Sorian?

-Sorry, tags are finicky
    Last edited: June 14, 2014
  13. trialq

Play drunk.
  14. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Clopse can beat many AI even when drunk...
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Burntcustard would have a rough time beating even me when drunk though lol.
  16. trialq

We have to consult statisticians and experts in science (!) to determine where on the "drinking makes me awesome" curve Clopsey is at any given time.
    Murcanic likes this.