Future monetisation of PA; what is acceptable and what is not?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, August 30, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

With the 1.0 launch upon us, I was considering the options Uber has to extend the longevity of PA, financially speaking. People seem quite split over the DLC commanders (disclaimer, I haven't bought any but I don't mind them existing ), so I was wondering what you consider to be acceptable DLC? Should new units be free to backers, or everyone? Should we get new, free galactic war scenarios to play? New planet types? Game modes? What would you pay for and what would you consider a rip off or a mod instead?
    Please don't count anything that is already coming, like unit cannon etc. I'm thinking novel ways of increasing revenue from the game.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The only "split" regarding Commanders is reskinning exclusive commanders. But that's a whole can of worms.

New units should be free to everyone. The game will die instantly if you can pay to get new units.

What I think would be a huge boost for PA is if there was a mod store. Modders get the majority of the money, and Uber would get a portion. If Uber doesn't do that, then I'll do it and give 95% of the funds to the modders. Would be a great way to get a little eco system going.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Visual skins, hand crafted maps, everything else no.

And some bundles would be nice. e.g. the spider bundle, spider commander plus spider-like skins for all troops, blah. (This would be a way to introduce factions into the game without the issue of balancing them or the charge for new units issue.)

Where's the dislike button. No mods = free.
    adoghost and drz1 like this.
  4. schuesseled192

NVM double post
    drz1 likes this.
  5. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I'm thinking, I would love new units and planet types, but you can't really have them as paid DLC, because then you divide the player base, and I never liked that about Halo and new map lobbies.
    I think the best stuff to pay for is aesthetic stuff, like commander skins or skins for the menus etc., or anything to do with single player, that does not affect online play. So, galactic war scenarios or extra single player modes and the like. Then use the money from that to provide units etc for free. In an ideal world :)
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

People could accept a Uber-run paid mod store; I doubt they would accept a community one - especially with a non-paid mod manager already in existence.
  7. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

You can, some RTS in the past just limited your race-selection and ability to create DLC/Addon-games, but allowed joining their servers. Relic's stuff, e.g. DoW and CoH worked that way.
    drz1 likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The idea isn't to make all mods paid. Free mods are great. This wouldn't replace or trump the mod manager.

The theory is to give people financial incentive to make big mods.
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's the transferring money over a non-official tool part that is more the issue here.
    lokiCML and Fr33Lancer like this.
  10. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Happy middle ground - donation backed mod store?
    Geers, Bsport and Nicb1 like this.
  11. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Well, I would totally buy a plushie of the nemicus commander.
    gerii likes this.
  12. draiwn

draiwn New Member

I would be ready to pay for an extension pack like TA did with Core contingency, or Supcom with Forged alliance, with new units, new faction, new campaigns with a real scenario, etc. I think it's fair for both players and devs.

Paying for mods would only be viable if other player can play against modded game, so it can't be new units mod.
  13. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

They talked about this, they want to build a mod store for PA, so you get your free mods, but people can also charge for mods, like a total conversation or a whole different game mod. I think it would be great.
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like a donation backed mod might be more successful then a paid for mod.
    vyolin likes this.
  15. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Providing a solid financial incentive to modders should theoretically result in a better quality product.
    ...theoretically.
  16. valheria

valheria Active Member

I think they should sell bold colour skins for entire planets.. Id love to buy and play a planet that is nothing but purple
    drz1 likes this.
  17. schuesseled192

You can give locked-content to everyone. E.g. you can see someone else's custom commander without actually buying it yourself. This can be done with basically everything.
    drz1 likes this.
  18. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Its important to remember that the choice may not be between free DLC and paid DLC, but between paid DLC and no DLC at all. For Uber to continue invest money in developing stuff for PA they need to get money from somewhere.
    drz1 likes this.
  19. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

I don't know but I think mods should be open to everyone.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

People can charge for mods, but good luck actually getting people to play them.
    japporo and schuesseled192 like this.