Forum Signatures/Avatars

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Intricasm, August 18, 2010.

1. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

I decided I would start a thread for people to show off their sigs/avatars and get constructive criticism and such.

To start it off I'll go ahead and post my first sig(it's the one i'm currently using). I haven't used photoshop in at least a year, so I just kind of took the banner on the forums and cut out the two characters I use with the magic wand tool and did a quick background, I dont' think it turned out all that bad:

[​IMG]

Question: I'm thinking I should shrink the size down a bit, is my signature too big, or is it fine? Also, does it look like a 5 minute photoshop, or does it actually look somewhat decent?

I found my avatar picture in a thread on the Facepunch forums.

So, everyone else feel free to post your signatures and avatars! I hope to see some cool ones!
  2. DR0KZ

DR0KZ New Member

Nice sig! Though your lettering outline could use a different color maybe a black glow would fit it better? :)

I have yet to think of a good one, i kinda play all classes but the ones with all the classes are so standard, and seeing as my photoshopping skills are pretty much non existant... :?
  3. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Google is your friend when it comes to photoshop. I learned a lot of what I know from tutorials, and I barely remember the tricks that I learned myself, the background of my Signature being one of those tricks.

I could toy around with the lettering, though. I kinda just threw that up there before I had to go to work. I just wish there were more high quality screenshots/wallpapers for MNC, it's hard cutting out renders on lower quality pictures. I have a few ideas for Avatars and sigs that I want to try out, but not until I wake up. For now it is bed time!
  4. Kyou Kizu

Kyou Kizu New Member

I like it. Very simple, and the colors go together nicely. But yes the text stroke could use a bit more contrast, in my opinion. :)

Some suggestions to play around with: (I can't guarantee it'll look good, but it won't take too long to apply, and you can always remove it. :p )
    1) Merge the two characters in to one layer. Duplicate this layer. Add a gaussian blur of around 2.5 - 5 on the bottom one and set it's blending mode to screen. Play with the opacity, if the effect is too strong.
    2) Add a warming (default settings) or vibrance (default hue, full vibrance) filter on top of all the layers and set it's blending mode to overlay. Again, play with the opacity of the filter layer, if the effect is too strong.

Tell me how it looks when you're done. :D
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I kinda like mine, even though the styles are sort of messed up (the drawing, abstract, splashes etc.)
    I made all of it myself, except the splatter brushes and skill buttons. I'm thinking of removing my guy with the scythe and only really added him to have something out of the frame. So I'll either remove him, or add some shadow behind him.. We'll see. :p
  5. DR0KZ

DR0KZ New Member

yeah i love your one, those skill buttons really make it brilliant ;) The skeleton guy is kinda unrelated but the way he steps out with that scythe makes it pretty cool.

And yeah, i did look a good few times on google images actually when i signed up for this site but cutting out images takes forever and i just don't have the patience to photoshop as honestly i have no idea where to start :p
  6. Kyou Kizu

Kyou Kizu New Member

Thanks! :D
    Yea, he's fairly unrelated, and I think I'll remove him. (He was originally made for this piece.)
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

My forum avatar is a cloaked Assassin. You can't see her, but if you put your head close enough to the screen you can hear a humming sound (right before she stabs your ear).
  8. BlueZebra

BlueZebra New Member

He looks epic in the signature, don't you dare. By the way, was your signature made in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop or did you use any other programs to make it?
  9. Kyou Kizu

Kyou Kizu New Member

Mostly photoshop.
    But the abstract blue-ish purple background thingy was made using Apophysis. :)
  10. Vike113

Vike113 New Member

I'm a photoshop noob, but I still like this one. Though the text isn't perfect.
  11. FalseKing

FalseKing New Member

For what it is, it delivers the message.

If I had to point something out, it'd be the size.
  12. Neff

Neff New Member

Making sigs used to be my jam back in the day.

I had to go look up a bunch of my old ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Bootuh

Bootuh New Member

I whipped mine up in a couple minutes. I have a render of the bullet and bacon if anyone wants the .PSD.
  14. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

I think you should keep him. He looks awesome. I really like your sig, though. It was one of the first ones I looked at and went 'Nice!' at.

I'll give those suggestions a shot and see how it plays out, though.

Yeah the text is pretty bad, but the image is also pretty big. It wouldn't take much to fix, though. You can just keep playing around in photoshop until you find something you like (with the text, I mean).

I really like those sigs, Deff. The Second one and the last one in particular.

Here are a couple others i've found/made:

[​IMG]
    I had originally started working on this one back when I played Shadowrun with a bunch of friends, but then my buddy took over and made it look awesome.

[​IMG]
    Made this one a few years ago.

[​IMG]
    I dont' remember where I found this, but I love it.

EDIT: Bootuh, i'd love to get a render of the shell and Bacon.
  15. FalseKing

FalseKing New Member

16. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

17. Sengoku no Maou

Sengoku no Maou New Member

Avatars I've made out of boredom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Vike113

Vike113 New Member

Can I use the assassin one?

I took the advice from this thread and made my sig smaller and made the text better, but it still looks like crap compared to most people's sigs. :lol:
  19. tomin83r

tomin83r New Member

how do u make avatars and signitures
  20. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Your sig doesn't look bad at all, actually. You might think about changing the color of the text, though.. Not a big fan of yellow, myself.

Well... essentially you just take an image and resize it and edit in it either Paint, Photoshop, or any of the other image editing programs.. It isn't easy to really explain without doing paragraphs of text. you can google the question though, that would probably give you the best answer.