For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I had your attention at "For backers only", admit it.

This sheet represents our first playable units, which means they range from white box (most of them - very rough geometric representation of units to allow us to simulate gameplay), to first pass (textured, thought put into look and feel, but not near final yet), to the Delta Commander, the most polished unit to date, though still not necessarily "done".

Enjoy! As always, these are posted here so you all can comment, so please.. comment, ask questions, etc. We won't be able to answer everything, but we'll answer what we can.

Edit: MOAR PICTOORS.

Attached Files:

2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

UGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm Happy.

Mike
  3. garat

Get a towel, man! :)
  4. KNight

I'll need a few ;p

But hey, at least it looks like I was on the right track;

[​IMG]

Mike
  5. bill280

bill280 Member

I like the construction stripes on the factories, makes it easy to identify from a distance. Are those satellites to the right of the unit cannon?
  6. KNight

Looks like it.

Mike
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Indeed. Although keep in mind they aren't final look, just whitebox (whitebox basically means placeholder).
  8. rage8668

rage8668 New Member

Hmmmmm. Am I seeing two different versions of rocket tech to get off planets in the top right and below it. Will their be some form of upgrades to make the smaller one in to its more massive counter part ?
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Well well. We've got some interesting designs cropping up. So far a vehicle/k-bot/air/naval factory, in both small and large versions. A bunch of assorted units and constructors to go with them. Some base support structures and defenses. Assorted economy buildings for both land and sea. There's some stationary artillery and what appears to be a tac launcher, a nuke launcher, and some kind of WTF launcher. No planet killing game is complete without one of those.

I'm happy to see that simple, small boats are alive and well. Not only to they help give large scale robot battles on the open seas, but they make the gigantic battleships look truly massive. They're basically experimental scale. Please tell me they can be dropped in from orbit, the tidal wave alone is worth it. :lol:

I am a bit curious, though. If the battleship can have triple barreled cannons, why can't the small land artillery match that? The guns are about the same scale.
  10. kmike13

kmike13 Member

The factories are amazing. Very easy to identify. The battleship looks like it could murder everything, and the ship factories look awesome. Will a live stream update be coming soon?

Is that a giant bombing craft???
  11. bill280

bill280 Member

Oh don't worry, i've heard the line "everything is subject to change" a lot of times already, still looks good :)

P.S. Aircraft looks good
  12. bobucles

Okay, this is going to bug the hell out of me, so I'm just going to ask. What the heck is this?
    As far as I can tell, it's a mystery box.

Attached Files:

13. garat

It's a toaster. :)

In seriousness, what's your guess? That's part of the reason for posting this.. seeing what you all can identify without prompting.
  14. kmike13

kmike13 Member

What is the giant land structure in the top left? I it a bunker of some sort
  15. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Looks like mass storage to me.
    In any case, it all looks quite good, even if a lot of it is placeholder. One thing I really like is how the scales are normalized so that even though it's zoomed out enough to show the battleship, all the tiniest units still show up very distinctly.
  16. bill280

bill280 Member

Maybe it's one part of a wall.
  17. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

My guess is that it's a wall since it's in the 'Defensive Structures' corner.
  18. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

I'm thinking more point defense myself. The other three look like a pair of AA, and a low level PD
  19. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

while contextualy it could be a point defence, readability wise it looks much more like a wall or mass storage. walls however i dont think would be so colourful.

Its possible it could shoot lasers out of the crack its got but that doesn't make huge amounts of sense compared to all the other units. it could also be part of an energy wall or other linear shield (the shield is projected between the two wall blocks, i remember earth 2160 had some stuff like that but it was complexish. simpler forms aren't hard to imagine though). It could be a pop up turret, which was great fun. I have at least one friend who will me deeply disapointed if there aren't pop up turrets in the game.
    Last edited: February 28, 2013
  20. bobucles

It's a little small to be storage. Just look at how big all the robits are! There's barely enough room for a peewee in there.

TotalA had a nicer scale for storage buildings. They were like high tech farm silos. It's easier to see, and if they were animated like Supcom storage it'd be easier to identify their status.

I suppose so, if a commander could be warded off with an insurmountable waist high fence. But where are all the teeth and spikes?