Flag units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kmike13, February 26, 2013.

1. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Whenever you see a war in tv with two sides just running at each other with swords and guns, I always saw people carrying their emblem on flags. Could there be some kind of unit in planetary annihilation that carries a flag? I don't know about other people but if my opponent sees a much larger force about to obliterate his army, it would be great if he saw my symbol being waves above my units.

Of course carrying a flag wouldn't be it's sole purpose. It could give a small boost in stats to units around it.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No.

Mike
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Flags are silly and inappropriate things to have on robots.

While flags are good for readability, buffs enabled by proximity are a difficult thing to balance because you can get a massive net-boost. To prevent the net-boost being OP, you make it tiny per-unit. If it's tiny per-unit, then it's only viable to have in giant tank-blob contexts.

That means, up until a certain army size you shouldn't build buff units (the resources being better spent on having a bigger army). After that size, you should build buff units into your army. Knowing where that transition lies is something for wrote-memory.

Also, back in the days of fighting with flags and banners; they were used for inspiration and propaganda. Not entirely sure that mindless killing machines respond very much to either of those.
    Last edited: February 26, 2013
  4. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

Flag: Unit AI = 1

well that really more of a variable than a flag...
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Go play any Total War game, or any historical battle game.

Robots carrying flags into battle. Yeah a Peewee with a flag instead of a gun makes sense. And aura stat bonuses are a huge no. You're either a very subtle troll or are actually completely mad.
  6. kmike13

kmike13 Member

So bad idea than? Also the boost would not be stackable. If that makes things better.

Edit: well why couldn't they have a gun?
  7. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

While the boosts is probably a bad idea because it breaks with the design goal of "easily readable battles" the concept of a flag-bearer is still pretty cool. It just looks right, even for an army of machines.

Of course, a flag bearer unit can be easy as having a very short ranged, very tanky unit with a giant flag on its back and a gun to back it up.
  8. svovlmunk

svovlmunk Member

How about a clown-bot that carries balloons into battle?
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

FTFY.
  10. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

You could have a clown-car transport that can hold thirty clownbots despite appearing to be far too small.

When the clowncar unloads, all the clownbots could fall over and the doors and the wheels would fall off the transport.
  11. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

As it is common knowledge that machines work faster and more efficiently if you put a flag near them, I think its a great idea and would add to the realism of the game.

+1!
  12. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

A semi-serious idea that this has given me: matador unit!

Waves flag to get enemies to target it, then sidesteps out of the way whilst holding the flag in place. Possibly including a cheeky wink to camera.
  13. r1zoTo

r1zoTo Member

Flags could be good for selecting a group, like: if you want to select 2 groups - shift click on 2 flags.
  14. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

Morale-boosting flags increase the efficiency of robots!? =D

*Puts circle of flags around GPU*
  15. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

This is why i have the american flag smothering my computer! :lol:
  16. kromius

kromius New Member

Well how bout a flag Ship which is like a mega boat at the forefront of ur navyXD?
  17. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Like a battleship?
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Like an assault experimental?
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Mike
  20. BulletMagnet