First Impressions. Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Fictitious1, June 3, 2014.

1. Fictitious1

Fictitious1 New Member

Hi all,

I have looked forward to jumping into this for awhile and have recently had the opportunity. I have been playing a few days, had a couple solo matches and some multiplayer matches as well. I have not spent a lot of time on the forums to see what everyone else has been saying mainly so that I can post this. I did see one thread that I will mention below.

I. Game looks great so far - Thanks for the cross platform support. Looking forward to all the refinements to come.

II. Gameplay
    1. Having played PA's predecessors it definitely feels a part of the series. Easy to get into.

2. Units -
    - The unit count was as expected but I see some room for improvements for sure. Having lost several matches to level 1 tank waves, it seems there needs to be more of an incentive to level tech.

III. Suggestions:
    1. Radar Jamming - Needed to protect from long range artillery and is just a natural part of the tech in war. I saw it as a vital part of even the first TA and think it could/should play a part here as well.

2. Shields/shielding - This is the thread I saw earlier and thought that after a couple of rounds why couldn't I find the shields; there were none.
    -- I like the idea of shooting down artillery via laser/missile shield. That could solve some things
    -- Shields should NEVER stack. Do you want to increase wifi strength? you do not just add more, you increase power. This is where shields should find their balance. POWER CONSUMPTION should play a major role in putting out shields, either requiring very large amounts of energy to keep up. (Thinking of the Stargate Atlantis episode where they ran the shield 24/7 and destroyed the planet) Shields are defensive and meant for the heat of the battle, and should be balanced accordingly in my mind.

3. Orbital units -- Ok my take. If you are converting energy into mass, then you would put up a satellite with that capability, produce a ton of mass via solar/nuclear/whatevernewpowersupplyis and then kinetic bomb anything below. G.I. Joe anyone? Orbital warring I think needs to cost more, but at the same time do more damage. That might also allow people to make a beachfront easier when trying to take over new planets rather than just always destroying them. That said the energy needed to MOVE AN ASTROID needs to also be upped, maybe considerably. It seems a bit too easy to send 20+ units build a bunch of boosters and then just destroy a planet, without it taking a huge hit to your resource income.

4. Pick up where SC2 had it partly right. I like part of the idea of teching up. However, how about building a Tech 1 bot factory, then when you want L2, RIGHT OVER TOP OF IT, upgrade to the Bot 2 factory. Reform it into the Tech 2 factory. One: That will save the cost of a separate building and allow people to upgrade to level 2 units faster I think. Two: It just seems natural to use existing tech already out and add too it.

5. If you really want brownie points I have dreamed of the day when a RTS like this would allow you to terraform the map. You remove trees etc, why not have a layer (think crater etc) that stops movement across it. Here's what I'm thinking. Your Bots, drill into the ground, plant "crater makers" (they are actually real things), set them off, and tanks etc have to go around the huge hole you just put in the earth. I don't think it would be to hard to make it re-render the terrain, but I think it would be an awesome addition if it could be done.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far and look forward to what it will become in the future.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

3.1: Radar jamming may end up being added. Uber has hinted at it, but hasn't gone into much detail.

3.2: Shields are a confirmed no for 1.0 release. Uber has said it over and over and over. And there are many reasons no to.

3.4: Upgrading existing factories isn't happening is because it's Uber's goal to have all units valid at all stages of the game. So I don't want to lose my capabilities to build T1 units because they're still helpful and useful units.

3.5: Terraforming and drilling is another confirmed no.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/confirmed-features-list-2-0.44950/
  3. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forums!

The plan for units is to make T1 units the backbone of your army and T2 more specialized. So you will never win with just T2.

However the current balance is out for whack and T2 is much less useful than it was before.

Shields may come in after the game I released. If you want to see more discussion on shields, check the dedicated threads on shields.

Upgrading is not likely as all units are supposed to be effective at all times during a match.

Terraformng is probably going to be present in a limited amount. Smashing a planet already makes a crater. That is probably as far as it will go through.
    emraldis likes this.