Firewall!!!

Discussion in 'Support!' started by sylerdog, November 5, 2013.

1. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

My computer is behind a school firewall. And now I cant play cuz it keeps booting me from server. Does anyone know how to get around a firewall to enable me to play?

Attached Files:

2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Do you get some error message on UberNet login or you get "Connection to server failed" when you try to create/join games?

Use VPN.
  3. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

Yes. Everytime i start a game, and wait for light to turn green, it immediately says "connection to server lost" and returns me to the main menu.
  4. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Well, its your shool firewall(or proxy). They have reasons to block everything except basic web stuff (http, mail and so on). At least that is the case most times (maybe different at yours).
    I havent done it for a while, but I guess there are still tools to try to tunnel your traffic thorugh there or something like that, but change is high it wont work or get you trouble ;)

Better way: Do shool things at shool and play PA at home.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

How many planets you trying to load? Or it's happen even with small planets and when you join games?

I'm asking because in very rare cases it's possible might be actual server crash.
  6. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

I live at school :(
  7. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

As little as one planet or as much as 4. Doesnt matter, it never gets to the actual game start....never been passed the menu with the start game on it.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually VPN though TCP with 443 port should let him bypass any firewall easily, but if there some bandwidth limit per user sylerdog won't able to bypass it..
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you don't have any personal login and you don't have bandwidth limit you should try VPN.

But notice that PA is bandwidth-greedy game and if there limited bandwidth it's can be easily tracked by system administrator. :p
  10. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

Actually VPN though TCP with 443 port should let him bypass any firewall easily, but if there some bandwidth limit per user sylerdog won't able to bypass it..

So assume i know nothing, how do I do that haha :)
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

12. sylerdog

sylerdog New Member

Thank you for your help!
  13. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Surely there must be recreational access somewhere. Just ask for your usage to be monitored so the teacher can see where you've been.
  14. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Hmmm...no ;) Just crappy ones or badly configured ones^^
    Also bandwidth and latency could become a problem....depending on how you set it up and encrypt it.

But if you really live there, there should really be a way for you to get unrestricted access in your free time.

Another possibility there would be to get your own mobile connection....A Surfstick or something like that. Would cost a bit and can be unreliable, but at least it would be your own.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Latency not such big problem for PA, I can play on Australian servers with 300 ping and it's feels quite good. I feel lag on them, but it's not prevents me from having fun.

Also encryption do not affect you unless you don't want 100mbps connection. Even my router handle OpenVPN with 10mbps bandwidth just fine.

Mobile connection it's really bad idea because it's where bandwidth is will be really big problem if you don't have access to "unlimited" bandwidth. Uber optimize PA networking a lot already, but it's still use much more bandwidth than most of other games. :(