Finally works with AMD proprietary drivers

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by SXX, November 12, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Okay looks there is finally workaround of AMD proprietary drivers.
    In 56516 i'm have no success, but currently in 56821 it's finally possible to run PA with "--software-ui" flag.

My system info:
    • Kubuntu 13.04
    • 3.12 RC7 kernel from Kernel PPA
    • Xorg-edgers PPA for open source drivers
    By mistake I'm tested it with Catalyst 13.11 beta1, there tons of visual glitches but Coherent not crash.
    Now I'll try it with beta6.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

So it's work*** on beta6 with "--software-ui" flag.

Bonus screenshot attached, now I can remove Crappylyst and get back to proper drivers. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 12, 2013
  3. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

Same here! Although re sizing the window causes a coherent crash and metal spot icons are not showing up.

sxx, I don't know why your system hates the catalyst drivers but it looks great and runs just fine on my system.

Screenshot to prove it. The FPS is right where I would expect it to be for my card now that they have disabled LOD on trees.

linux mint 15
    3.12 rc7 kernel
    xorg edgers PPA

catalystWorking.jpg catalystWorking1.jpg
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Most likely it's because my GPU from CAYMAN series, those are usually perform bad on Linux. :(
    Even with open source drivers not perform as good as it's should. E.g my card have same performance as HD6850 while it's should be quite better.

PS: But anyway PA perform much better with open source drivers for me. After I fix few shaders it's works like a charm with only two glitches: very rare "black lines" and a bit broken sun shader.
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
  5. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

doesn't seem to impact performance or cpu usage that much, wonder how much gpu acceleration actually helps with the ui
  6. renszarv

renszarv New Member

Good for you, on my machine, this --software-ui flag doesn't helped a lot, only thing, which changed, that I can see the blue styled cursor, and nothing else.
    I'm still using the AMD driver, on a Radeon 7700 with Kubuntu 13.10. Any suggestions ?
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Software UI mode currently broken even on open source drivers.

You might try to disable VSync and use F5 and Ctrl+P hotkey many times. This might force UI to update.
  8. turbo329is

turbo329is New Member

What's software ui flag? I got the game to almost play with amd drivers but with the proprietary drivers it fails on start. I can't play css or eu4 or anything with amd drivers. Can you link the fix or explain it to me as if your talking to your grandmother.

I've got version 58772, ubuntu 13.10 on an A10-5800k.
  9. teitokun

teitokun New Member

This is as much as I got as well.

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.12.5-1-ARCH
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 4GHz
    GPU: AMD/ATI Cypress XT [Radeon HD 5870]
    blueproximity likes this.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You need to check original bugreport PA#2343. Probably I have to link it in first post.
    Currently software UI mode broken and only interface will only update if you enable performance monitor (Ctrl+P).

For your GPU open source drivers might be a best choice if you want to play PA. As long as I know 5870 have best support in R600g and most likely you'll get nearly 90-100% of Catalyst performance with less lags spikes.
  11. teitokun

teitokun New Member

For your GPU open source drivers might be a best choice if you want to play PA. As long as I know 5870 have best support in R600g and most likely you'll get nearly 90-100% of Catalyst performance with less lags spikes.[/quote]

I use Dvorak and I was hitting the P key and not what is P on my layout.

I would use Open Source, however DotA2 runs terrible with them.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah there was some issues back in time when Dota 2 arrive on Linux. I don't like MOBA so I don't tried it again yet. Did you tested it with recent kernel/Mesa?

Anyway if you can't use open source drivers then you need use "--software-ui" and workaround stuck interface issue somehow. You can also check my last comment for PA#2343 and try to send proper bugreport to unofficial AMD/ATI bugtracker.
  13. sirshane

sirshane New Member

With the software ui flag it runs and I get a cursor but my screen still goes completely black.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You need to press Ctrl+P to force UI to update.
  15. sirshane

sirshane New Member

Ok so I to the terms screen but after that its still black. Even with hitting ctrl+p
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It is really weird, actually screen should update fine when FPS counter enabled.
    I'll test current version of game with Catalyst and then post here.
  17. ase1590

ase1590 New Member

Arch user here on kernel 3.13.5-1 and xorg 1.15 using catalyst 14.2-1 binary with an HD 7XXX card,
    I can confirm as well the black screen issue continues to be present, and using Ctrl+p in conjunction with the --software-ui flag allows the screen to be updated, however using it in this manner is very prone to crashes when running it windowed and resizing the window.

Have we determined whether this is an AMD or PA bug yet?
    I apparently can't read, i'll submit a ticket to AMD about it.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Originally it's AMD bug, but most likely it's will disappear as long as Uber move to newer version of Coherent.
    Newer Coherent version is based on newer version of Chromium that already contain workaround for this AMD bug.

Though there is no guarantee that new version of Coherent or game won't stuck on some other AMD bug. :D
  19. ase1590

ase1590 New Member

Good to know. :rolleyes:
  20. gerii

gerii Member

Finally got it working with Mint 16 KDE Edition and my R9 290. But it's kinda unplayable because of FPS drops every few seconds.