Feature Request: sunset & sunrise

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by juju18051984, September 5, 2013.

1. juju18051984

juju18051984 New Member

Hi!

Maybe someone already suggested this feature, and if yes, sorry about that :)

I watched PA games on youtube the other day, and during a battle in dynamic camera mode, I saw the sun rising above the horizon. It was beatiful :)
    Then I thought: how cool would it if the sky had sunset/sunrise colors in these conditions?

So here I am, posting this feature request (actually more a suggestion) :D

Julien
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well why not but those might only be lens effects
  3. sanderburuma

sanderburuma New Member

I would also like axial tilt, axial precession, retrograde rotation, equatorial bulging (due to the effect of centripetal acceleration) inclined orbits (relative to the solar plane), precession of the longitude of perihillion as well as the effect of solar flares periodically causing EMPs, especially on planets with no magnetic field.

pretty please :)
  4. tatsujb

let's stick with the reasonable and stop at inclined orbits, the rest can come later in DLC. Think : limited by engine/not limited by engine.
  5. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

I'm pretty sure that was a joke ;)
  6. juju18051984

juju18051984 New Member

My point is not to increase realism, it is to increase the esthetic experience :)
    But indeed sunset/sunrise colors would only happen on planets with an atmosphere.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Lens flare!
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Rain and storms, Clouds!
  9. tatsujb

clouds most of all
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Volumetric clouds would be awesome, but very resourceful.

Ive seen better than these clouds actually, Volumetric fog on the batman titles were prob one of the best ive seen, But I hate the closed API PhysX by Nvidia.

You probably want something a little cartoonier anyway, like swirls and squigles for clouds and the such.

Rain and other weather would be really nice also, I realise it wouldn't be very high on the priority list, if on the list at all.
  11. funkybacon

funkybacon New Member

You could go spongebob style and make flower-ish clouds :D

Thinking on it..Wouldn't it be cool if the nuclear explosion cloud travelled through the atmosphere for a bit?
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. tatsujb

thinking about it , what would be most awesome, would be how they look after and small meteor came down or a nuke blew up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  13. Miaku

Miaku New Member

The shiny lens flare/bloom stuff will probably be present as soon as HDR (and other post processing effects) are implemented. Right now the graphical focus is on performance optimization rather than eye candy. :)
  14. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Everything doesnt have to be about gameplay.

having a good immersion adds to the game in the long run.

Going this far with planets its important to add atmospheric stuff, im fully expecting to see stuff like in Spore planets. upper atmosphere, clouds, and such.

Im gonna be quite sad if there isnt lighting and rain, snow, weather, because it will add to the immersion so much-

Many of the best games isnt just because of gameplay, its also because of immersion. Thats what really makes games above and beyond.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. funkybacon

funkybacon New Member

That may be so, but don't forget the possible impact on your FPS if they implement it. I'm sure that they have thought on it as well, but it can have a pretty heavy impact on FPS I'm guessing, especially if not optimized.