Feature request: orbital EMP nuke

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, February 18, 2015.

?

Do you agree an orbital EMP nuke should be added?

1. Yes

70.0%
  2. No

30.0%
  1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

We all want more nuke types, and the devs have mentioned it previously. I think there is one place we could really use it: an orbital EMP missile. Detonates in space with twice the radius of a nuke and completely nullifies all orbital structures and buildings for 2-3 minutes. Maybe also renders umbrella fire within the sphere highly inaccurate throughout this time. Should cost somewhere around around 2/3 the cost of a current nuke and not be targetable by anti-nukes (I think). To be used preceding a large scale orbital invasion of a highly turtled planet or gas giant (as it lets you wipe out entrenched anchors and orbital forces before landing). Also interesting in the context of denying energy to a player with control of a gas-giant.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

you can't target gas giants with nukes ATM...
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I just want to nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure the enemy comm will explode
    guest1 likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

best way to disable stuff ... destroy them ...
  5. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I like it. I like anything that adds extra layers of strategy. I think it should be counterable somehow though.
  6. MrTBSC

except it is not a strategy but merely another option to how to disrupt my enemy
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I would like a land EMP bot like the TA spidebots and an orbital EMP unit, as well as EMP nukes (that can target both ground and orbital)
  8. blightedmythos

Which is strategy... you can hit them before an assault, hit them to disturb economy And shut down production. Destroying and temporarily disabling are two different things. One permanently removes units from the game the other only disables for a short period of tine. This adds another strategy to winning the game.

You could have the emp have a larger radius but shorter disable to make it varied from the nuke. I still think it needs some kind of counter. Maybe when anti missiles hit it, it will still go off at the edge of the perimeter or something.
  9. blightedmythos

I'd rather have a stationary emp artillery defense then another orbital unit.
  10. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I voted yes but I'm not sure about it not being able to be shot down. There has to be some defense against it, otherwise it's just an automatic "disable my enemy's orbital units for a few minutes" device. I think I would prefer something more like a ground unit that fires this EMP and you have to find a way to get this unit to the enemy planet. Kind of like Han, Leia, Luke and Chewie disabling the shield generator in Return of the Jedi. Maybe something that can be shot from the unit cannon.

Just thought of this: Make it an artillery tank or bot that has to be deployed. There was an artillery tank in SC:FA that was like this, lots of armor but it had to stand still and deploy legs or something to hold it in place. This way it can't just land and fire but it has a lot of health so it has a fighting chance, with some backup.
    Last edited: February 18, 2015
  11. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Just to scrape in - I'd call it a tactic rather than a strategy.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

so basicly you want to counter the antinuke that counters the nuke in order to get your nuke through ...
  13. blightedmythos

Schematics.
  14. MrTBSC

weither you make a applecake or chocolatecake you still make a cake
  15. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I approve these cakes.
    theseeker2 likes this.
  16. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

EMP Tactical Missile?
  17. blightedmythos

I actually like the idea of the super long range artillery EMP unit, would be good for base assaults as it could strategically target defenses from range. This would also open up more play with artillery defense guns while being counterable.
  18. MrTBSC

or you know we could just have a sort of interplanetary artillery that helps soften up enemy defenses ...
  19. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I don't think the unit cannon supplants this idea. Even with the unit cannon there is a role for a large super weapon that can pierce an orbital turtle. It's just another option for starting a large-scale invasion, and it's not like its a particularly difficult one to implement. Plus there are loads of people who would like to see multiple missiles. So this isn't even a particularly new request.
    DalekDan likes this.
  20. MrTBSC

nobody has talked about the unitcannon, it is very easily countered by antiorbital defenses ..
    what i am speaking about is an actual slug or inacurate missile artillery ...
    i personaly dont like emp at all as it may make defenses entirely unnessesary .. were you may as well just invest your metal in mobile forces ..