Feature for better observing a stream: limit zoom in-out

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xnavigator, March 25, 2013.

1. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

I hope PA will not allow to dramatically change the zoom of the camera while in game.
    This is important because while watching an event (or someone who is casting a game) if the caster will start to zoom in and zoom out too much the observers will have hard time to follow the game.

This is the reasons for example on why Starcraft 2 zoom in and out is basically not present (you can just zoom in a little bit).

I know for the point of view of the players zoom can be good, but surely for the observers it is not (and so for the eSports part of this game).

What do you think?
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

omg of course we do NOT want the zoom to be limited. This is just a stupid idea, and I feel like every second thread is about a thing that Starcraft 2 does, and the thing sucks, and still someone wants it to be part of PA. What is this? Some big troll initiative?

If you dont want the livestream to zoom in and out, you have to ask the streamer to slow his zooming down a little bit ;)
  3. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Zoom to all the things.

This can be resolved by having skilled casters who don't zoom needlessly. It's a people thing, not a technology thing.
  5. asgo

asgo Member

on that note, please also:
    - limited number of planet visits per second (in short pvps)
    - extension, limited number of planet rotations per second (prps)
    - limit number of viewports to one, what else ... of course ...
    - limit apm to a comment-able rate, let's say 1 action per comment (apc)
    :)
    perhaps we can find a few other restrictions we can let the devs hard-code in ...
  6. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

What a bunch of troll...
    I think it would be really useful to be able to save some zoom level and just be able to quickly switch between them instead of using the mouse scroll and always end up at a different height.

I would really like to be able to set discrete height level so I can with just 2 or 3 mousescroll get to the exact zoom level I want.
    Last edited: March 25, 2013
  7. warexe

warexe New Member

We should also cut down the unit cap to around 200 so it's easier for stream viewers to follow.
  8. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

REally ? The op ask for the ability to customize the zoom level and every people going crazy mode "We hate Starcraft"
  9. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Customize what ? The fix is simple : Don't use the scroll wheel when you cast.
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

A Zoom lock button, or at least a few preset altitudes would be nice.
  11. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Perhaps you just want two or three zoom level. So you still can give a good overview, without always end up at a slightly different zoom level.
  12. warexe

warexe New Member

Where did I say I hate Starcraft?
  13. syox

syox Member

Zooming in supcom is steady with shortcuts etc it will be very jumpy. Think jumpy zoom is way worse.
    Also no limits to zoom.
  14. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Well I think the limit to zoom should be when you can see everything yes?
  15. TheLambaster

jumpy zoom is bad idea, you might lose track of where exactly you zoomed out from, which will likely cause a short moment of disorientation.
  16. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the zoom, just tell the caster to hold the camera still.
  17. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Casters are more likely to use zoom if there is.

What about allowing the zoom for players and for observers of the game (casters/etc) disable it or limit it someway?

At least please don't allow camera rotation. That is the most frustrating thing to watch as a specatotor.
  18. TheLambaster

Oh come on. If you dislike the style of a certain caster don't watch him. I know there are a lot of people who do like "cinematic" perspectives by camera rotation. I am not a fan of it either, but I am a foe of artificial limitations.
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

You are literally the cancer. No rotation wtf?
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Cool it, BmB. He's probably referring to pro casting, where camera rotation only causes confusion and dizziness. I'm sure you can appreciate how annoying it ends up being in Youtube vids. It doesn't mean the game shouldn't have a 3d camera.