"Failed to retrieve game list" after every (long) game

Discussion in 'Support!' started by lostmekka, May 10, 2014.

1. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

Hey guys, Pt4h here.

I had this issue for quite some time now, but now I finally am annoyed enough that I want to ask around here.

Problem: After every longer game there is a period of time where I cannot get into the game list lobby again. I get the error screen "Failed to retrieve game list, returning to main menu..." every time I click play or "start new game" from the scores screen. This typically lasts for a minute or two, then it works again.
    The weird thing is, that short games (below 10min) don't produce this bug. Some people suggest to restart the PA client and in fact the issue is gone then, but I cannot tell if that really is because of the restart or because I have waited long enough while restarting.

I suspect the server to have some state that is not cleaned up correctly or something like that. Either way, it is quite annoying^^
    Also, this bug shows up with no mods active.

So to my question: Anyone else having it? Maybe we can narrow the cause down to something useful^^

Greetings,
    LostMekka aka Pt4h
    uberpenu, elodea and warrenkc like this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Moving to Gamma issues & bugs sub-forum.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

This happens to me also, perhaps even 15 min after I have PA open.
  4. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

Just wanted to report: The issue still remains with the new build (65588)
  5. shootall

shootall Active Member

I can't verify that i have it only after long games, but it does happen to me every once in a while. I've had a comeback of the some-strategic-icons-missing bug too (commander and combat fabbers).
  6. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Same here.

Although it happens after every game (doesn't have to be long). Have to restart PA to get it working again after every game however long it went for.
  7. greysuit

greysuit New Member

I also get this bug, and have been getting it for quite a while. I know a couple of friends who get it also. The bug actually seems worse in this patch, since it used to be that I could connect after waiting a few minutes. Now the only option is to restart the game.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  8. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

Happens with 90% of the games I play
    warrenkc likes this.
  9. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Happens for me too.
  10. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Me too :(
  11. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

Yeah I also had the feeling that it worsened with the new patch.
    I might have found a workaround though: When I quit the game before the client goes to the score screen, I rarely get that error message at all. The only thing is, that the error sometimes comes up while being in the game list lobby for some time, (for example while auto searching) but I don't quite know, whether these two issues are connected.

So the culprit may be somewhere in the ending section of a live game or the score screen itself. The question remains however, whether the bug is server-sided or client sided...

*** EDIT *** WARNING ***
    Don't do the workaround I proposed, the error message is only delayed it seems and can interfere with pastats auto search! Worst case is that a game is found and already loading and you get the error, kicking you out of the game!
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

If you leave a game without viewing the score screen you will never report your wins to PA Stats, and be depending on your opponent to do so for you.

Also about server/client side: The bug results from the call to the "give me the game list" webservice to throw an error. The current error handling is pretty strict about that and throws you back into the main menu. Who knows why. I've never had the error in a moment I could debug it.