Factions/Current Lack of Character in units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by EnvyMYPoptarts, June 30, 2014.

1. EnvyMYPoptarts

EnvyMYPoptarts New Member

Howdy all, I am very new to the game so don't think I know too much about the game, but...

I feel like the game currently has a lack of character. For example, back in the supcom days, I clung to the Cybrans because they fit my playstyle, with good high tier air, and awesome stealth capabilities and they also looked really neat. I understand this is ALOT to ask for from the devs and this question may have been already answered but, will there be multiple factions, each with diverse units? I loved supcom because of the number of different units and the scale(which PA already has). Experimentals were also fun. What I'm getting at is that the game is a blast playing, but it is kindof like eating granola cereal, not lucky charms: fighting is fun but the same units are used over and over again and it gets bland. The game lacks the units that you always build to just to have because they are your favorite.

I believe the game could be made much better and much more fun by adding different units. and it doesn't even have to go that far. Simple skins could be made making tanks look different than others. they could still shoot the same stuff and do the same damage. You could make 4 legged bots that look like the 4 legged commander and a more jagged unit in general for a faction, a boxy one, and a smooth one for example: just like in supcom FA.

What's yall's thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Envy:cool:
  2. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Hey, Welcome to the Forums!

Different factions with unique units is something discussed many times. As far as I know the devs said No to different faction units. Instead there will be tons of different units so diversity will not be a problem.

This solves the "My faction under powered, enemy faction imba." IMO

Unit skin packs would be cool and a good way to support developers if they decided to sell them as micro transactions. As long as they are cosmetic only :)
    Pendaelose likes this.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Multiple Factions are a confirmed no at this stage, the effort required just isn't worth it, it's more economical to build one faction with lots of variety rather than trying to flesh out multiple factions that are mostly centered around gimmicks.

Mike
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I do agree that the units in PA are lacking their marshmellows. Too many of the units are too close to each other.

I keep on trying to get Uber to add more variety, but it hasn't happened yet.

If you want lots of unit variety, check out the Realm Balance Mod and the Statera Mod.

These two balance mods provide tons of unit diversity and character.

Easy example: the Stinger and Spinner.

The Stinger has since been removed (big mistake), but the two units were almost identical.

In the RBM, the Stinger has lower DPS, but can fire at ground and air. The Spinner can only fire at air, but has burst DPS. It has an ammo clip with a bunch of missiles, that it fires really quickly, but then has to reload and suffers a greatly reduced fire rate.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  5. EnvyMYPoptarts

EnvyMYPoptarts New Member

Thanks for suggestions, ill check them out!
    It's a shame that there will not be factions but i do know that is alot to ask for, especially this early in production.
  6. japporo

japporo Active Member

PA is slated for release by the end of this year; production is nearly finished.

If I recall the statements that have been made by Uber correctly, PA has only about 1/5 the budget that was used to make Supreme Commander. The artwork, audio, and additional engineering to add more factions was simply not an option.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  7. KNight

In the end thought, we aren't really missing out compared to SupCom if you compare PA's Unit count compared to the Average SupCom Faction unit count.

Mike
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  8. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I found the factions to much to remember for Supcom...

All I really ever wanted were Salem class ships (the walking ones)

Then again, Paragon OP
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yeah but the SupCom units were cool.
  10. KNight

Some were, some weren't. It's kinda subjective.

Not to mention that there is nothing to say PA can't have cool units, it just doesn't right now.

Mike
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
  11. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I fully agree that many units seem too basic and lack character.

With the recent changes to boom bots and new models for the Gil-E sniper bot and Bluehawk tactical missile bot however, some units have started to gain a lot of character. I hope they keep this direction and improve existing units and add new unique ones.
    EnvyMYPoptarts likes this.
  12. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I agree, with the recent combat balance pass we're beginning to see some units have a little more flavour, both visually and in terms of role. There's a long way to go before I'd start calling the unit roster 'characterful' but it's a step in the right direction.
  13. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Man, you've been throwing tons of shade at us today.

But, yeah, we feel like we're getting to a good point with balance and roles. We'll get there.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

When?

Trolololol.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. BradNicholson

Soon.
    ArchieBuld and Geers like this.
  16. brianpurkiss

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with.

But in the meantime... I can't play the dang game!
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. BradNicholson

Can you upload your dxdiag for me?
    DeadStretch, ArchieBuld and trialq like this.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

He's experiencing coherent crashes and is using a mac. I believe most, if not all mac and linux users are experiencing this to some degree.
  19. brianpurkiss

I'm on a Mac. I don't think there's dxdiag for Mac.

Like stuart said, I'm experiencing the Coherent UI crashes. As far as I'm aware, this plagues all Mac and Linux players making the game nigh on unplayable.
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  20. BradNicholson

In your support thread (and not the 20 other places you mentioned this), can you post an image of where it crashes so we can get a better sense of what's going on?
    nick2k likes this.