Extending/Overriding the UI

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by oxide246, June 13, 2013.

1. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Hey Modders,

So the problem I'm currently having is that every time a new update is pushed my UI mod code is overridden and I have to re enter a few lines of code here and there to activate my mod again.

What I've been trying to do is keep my stuff as separate as possible from Uber's UI. In the PA/media/ui folder I have created a new theme folder oxide246. Now the way I imagine the client should pick up on this is that there would be a UI mod settings page in the interface which would scan the UI folder for custom themes. There should be an info file with metadata about the theme, including whether this theme is dependent on another base theme. This would be displayed on a settings page in the game to select the mod.

The directory structure of the theme should be a replica of the base theme, and if a file in the child theme exists the client will pick that one over the base theme. So for instance, if I had the file ui/oxide246/start/start_alpha.html, this would take precedence over ui/alpha/start/start_alpha.html.

If the theme is a complete re-write though it wouldn't do this.

I'm not much of a modder, but I know web and I think this method works well. So I just wanted to get the community's thoughts on this. Or if Uber would like to interject with their plans here that'd be awesome too :)
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We have something just like this coming down the pipe.
  3. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

That's great, thanks!