experimental play, huge hole, points, how does this work?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, December 11, 2014.

1. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

So I have an experimental account in gold and a uber account that follows the same ol same ol, ive found ive almost dug my self into a hole i cant climb out of as i play in my experimental account more. I beat ubber players with my gold account and move up like 3 ranks in gold??????? really? why do I not move up more for beating significantly higher "ranked" players with this account? Granted I went on a hell of a losing streak getting **** faced and playing a ton of games, but shouldn't beating way higher ranked players level out the rank on this account, or should i just buy another 10 buck game to have a accurate experimental scrub account?

pls explain ranking system. lets say i get tipsy lose 100 games to silver/bronze then sober up and win 20 games vs uber shouldn't my most recent performance dictate my ranking on account. Like shouldn't I be at least platinum for beating 20 uber in a row?
  2. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

You realize there is no breathalyzer attached to PA (I'll submit a support ticket), right?
    theseeker2 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  3. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

mabye calculate your rank based on your last 20 games? that would be a good system
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

What typically happens is behind the scenes, each player has a score - highest score is rank #1, next is #2 etc.

What this means is the high-ranked players tend to be more spread out score wise, so jumping up in rank takes longer the higher up you are. Lower ranks tend to be closer, so smaller changes in score will result in bigger jumps in rankings up or down.

Note that I don't know the exact system that PA uses, these are just generalities.
  5. judicatorofgenocide

right but if you beat the number one ranked player as gold you should be automattically moved to platinum
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Why? You'll get more points for beating a higher ranked player, but you'll only move to platinum if your total points puts you in the platinum range.
  7. judicatorofgenocide

ok, then i got a tipsy and sober account and will hope for a better ranked system in the future
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

They've said is Glicko based, which Wikipedia says has a reliability factor; once you've played enough games the reliability rises, and changes get smaller.

Which I guess means: if you want to experiment in the ladder and have a good rank afterwards, play a lot of games before you start experimenting.
  9. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

The system is fine as it is. It's your own fault if you play tipsy and thereby ruin your rank.

Besides, having ONE lucky vistory against the "#1 player" doesn't justify being ranked significantly higher. Beat all of the top 10 on a regular base? Ok, that would be a thing. But beating only a single player a single time isn't worth anything.
  10. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'm skeptical about your story to be honest, after the rank reshuffle I got moved from somewhere quite near the bottom of Uber to gold (around rank 70/80 I think). I haven't lost a game since and I'm still only at rank 20, but I think it's working as intended. I don't mind rank changes being slow going, it's a lot more frustrating when losing one game can drop you 20+ ranks. I am slightly surprised you're getting ranked against Uber players in gold, I haven't seen a single one since the reshuffle.