Eventual support for alternative OSes

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by mantarkee, March 4, 2013.

1. mantarkee

mantarkee New Member

So here's what I was thinking:
    The PS3 currently allows you to plug a keyboard and mice and play like a computer on your big screen TV games like DUST 514.
    The PS4 will feature a x86 64bit CPU, which they claim will simplify the process of porting games from the PC to the PS4.

Am i the only one who sees the possibilities here?
    Not that I care. I already have my killer rig set up and won't need a PS4 to run a PC RTS properly. But for all those with their grannies' windows 98 computer from last era, who typically drag everyone else into the dirt in every big multiplayer games, who generally play games on consoles?

That might be a great possible idea.
    Anyone else feel like me on this?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

First off, this has little to do with alternate OSes, and more to do with supporting Consoles.

Second, considering the PS4 is coming out later this year, I doubt trying to do a PS3 release is worth the effort.

Second, even thought the PS4 seems to be moving to a more PS-like setup, I don't don't think a console port is really worthwhile to be honest, the kind of people that only have a console won't have an extra keyboard and mouse kicking around, and we all know how "well suited" Controllers are to RTSes.....

Mike
  3. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Agreed^^
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If they make the PS4 as easy to develop/port to as they are claiming, much like Xbox Next, there's no reason it wouldn't be in the realm of possibility to do ports that require keyboard/mouse for people who don't have a PC or don't have a very good one.

But I can state from extensive experience, trying to map a hardcore RTS to a console controller is.. not impossible, but not an easy task, and likely would require re-designing major game loops to make it actually fun.

Edit: With what's looking to be a generation of consoles that all include touch support of some form, it's more possible than it used to be, conceivably, on a controller, but hard to say until we all can try them out for ourselves. :)
  5. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

You say that like like a USB keyboard and mouse cost an exorbitant amount of money.

With the next gen specs looking like mid range PCs, and hopefully as easy to port as we are lead to believe, it would seem foolhardy to disregard all of the console install base as nothing but joystick jockeys.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No, it's not terribly expensive, but there are other factors to consider, like USB extension cords, Seeing as Most consoles will be in the Living room(and might not even be all that close to the actual TVs) you'd want to make sure you can setup yourself up at a suitable position relative to the TV, one would also need a table of something if one isn't already available.

Not an impossible setup, but not exactly as convenient as those who prefer Consoles over PCs might expect.

Also, next gen might be looking decent in comparison to PCs, but who knows how well that will stand up in a year or two's time.

Mike
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

If it has an x86 CPU... INSTALL LINUX ON IT, and play PA as much as you want.
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So the touch pad could potentially make it interesting on PS4. Any decision along those lines would have to wait until well after the game is launched.
  9. Saber2243

Saber2243 New Member

2 words

STEAM BOX
  10. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

OUYA YO
  11. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The best we know (from the same public info everyone else has) the "Steambox" is just a Linux PC with some specifications for hardware. We're supporting Linux, so it shouldn't be a big deal to support the Steambox.

The Ouya is pretty much just a generic Android device with a UI skin and some custom store, so if we ever had an android compatible version of the engine and game it shouldn't be a big change to get it working... but that's a very big if.
  12. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I don't even get the point of Ouya personally.
  13. hostileparadox

Supposedly they are going to release a new version of Ouya each year as the hardware gets more powerful. But at the current 1GB RAM, I don't see it happening for the launch system.
  14. metzelmann

metzelmann New Member

PA with Kinect support? So you can SMASH the asteriods on the planets and STOMP the enemy units? :D
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Running a host on a tablet or similar device is probably out of the question. However, anything that can parse server information could find itself capable of displaying, if not playing the game. It's just a matter of displaying the information in a way that doesn't overwhelm the device.

The modders will no doubt have a go at it, but first they'd need to understand the communication protocol pretty damn well.
  16. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

To Crack open the Console development industry and turn it on its head! Whilst everything is increasingly going open source and opening up to the world the Console industry is still as ever an elite club for Sony Microsoft and Nintendo. Ouya and Steam Box are going to hopefully start a trend to make getting into those industries allot easier and maybe we might see some truly new and original games! instead of the stock that is being published now.
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Or, you could get a nexus 10 and an HDMI cable.
  18. thapear

thapear Member

Exactly, most high-end phones that are coming out now have support for HDMI, keyboard, mouse and controllers. Therefore I do not see the point of releasing a dedicated gaming platform that'll be weaker than the phones coming out at that time.
  19. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Because the Ouya is $99, not $499, and has a dedicated gamepad... at least that's their thinking.
  20. hostileparadox

And don't forget, planned yearly hardware updates at the same price point.
    Which may be even cheaper in the future if they offer the console by itself.
    Since the current controller costs $50, half of the OUYA's $100 price tag.