Epic Long Games

Discussion in 'Support!' started by greendiamond, July 16, 2013.

1. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i tried a few searches and found this topic shortly discussed in threads that where unrelated to the original post so im making post dedicated to this topic.

when i first heard of this game back when it was in kick starter i started thinking about how it could scale up words into massive games with large number of players and i considered how time would scale with it into games lasting days. when i heard about team sharing and the choronocam i was sure it could be used so that people could actually take shifts in controlling the armies and chronocam would be used to see what was missed. it seems as though this game is fully prepared to last days at a time if necessary. and we know the servers are capable to where someone could leave the game and return later.

this wouldn't be the first game to have online battles last over days. i remember back when civilization 4 had an online community you could find games with the maximum planet size team size and time scale that would nearly hit a week. even in scale limited games like starcraft had the potential to last hours in extreme cases.

planetary annihilation is wanting to push a new extreme so this is to discuss what that extreme could be in the way of time.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I bet it could be arranged once we have full solar systems. We have people from all timezones at any rate. Any other communities / clans up for something like this?

Just want to edit to add: I'd envision an easy way to make games last this long would be a mod increasing building HP significantly, making attacks and planet invasions very difficult.
    Last edited: July 16, 2013
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

(we challenge you Ballistic Logistics)
  4. greendiamond

I WANT IN, FRONT ROW SEATS. THIS IS A NEED TO SEE SMACK DOWN.
  5. carnilion

carnilion Member

battles WILL become very large and if the opponents match somehow in skill very long, but at this moment in alpha all units and buildings are "made of paper" (for example t2 tank has something like 500 hp and deals 400 dmg with 1 shot per secound) so the battles become very quick (a way gone before by starcraft2 or c&c6 as i sadly must say), but i hope very mutch this is just for testing to get as many games to analyse as fast as possible.

in the future we hopefully get a change in hp/dmg rate from 1,25 to at least 8-10 or even more, so that battles will take mutch longer, and small tactical errors will get way less important as your units dont die 2-shot. additionally the way larger battlefields will make everything mutch longer and more epic ;)
  6. superouman

superouman Post Master General

One week clanwar. Or even a month! i can't stop laughing while imagining how epic it would be!

I want to be in, i need a clan! :D
  7. greendiamond

accidental double post
    Last edited: July 16, 2013
  8. greendiamond

seconded i also want to be in this war
  9. superouman

If i dare to say it, a huge FFA clan war.
  10. greendiamond

well then you wouldnt be able to do the shifts thing i mentioned
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think he means more so FFA between numerous Clans, so each Clan is still a team, but there are 3 or more clans present in an FFA environment.

Mike
  12. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

This would be great. It'd be best for cases where you knew your opponents though or there was some history of them staying online for the duration. Some recent games I've had have involved building a base for 30 minutes then heading over for the 'big battle' to see they have bugger all. My fault for not doing enough recon - but if you were spawned on different planets it could take you an hour to find you've wasted your time!
  13. superouman

Why not? In regular FFA games, any player can leave and come back into the game. I don't think there would be a difference for a team melee clanwar with 2 or more commanders per team.
  14. greendiamond

what are you talking about?
  15. greendiamond

we need this to happen once we get bigger games on the servers
  16. radtoo

radtoo Member

Isn't "galactic war" the feature we'd be looking at here? It was a stretch goal and it ought to have features useful exactly to play long, big game sessions like this.

Now, I haven't picked up much about how galatic war will work, so far. I just know it is intended to be configurable to be large or huge in scale.

Anyhow, here's me hoping that the servers involved will be able to play farily large sections of the frontlines actively, maybe even sections scaled to be as big as the processing power and bandwidth of said servers permits. Then we'll pretty much automatically get epic-sized matches in multiplayer, all the time.
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

No, it's not. GW is more akin to a campaign of many battles, not one giant battle.
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

The largest real time game run in a single digital server will be a single star system with multiple asteroid belts and celestial bodies.

Assuming PA's performance ages well, or is supported by Uber, or is succeeded by a PA2/PA:Core Contingency, we might see "star cluster" battles involving multiple star systems which are close together, or "artificial" star systems which are much larger than normal. We might even see an overall increase in the size of celestial bodies if the microarchitecture industry gets off its *** and makes something new for 2013/2014.
  19. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

You are right, but depending on the GW rules it could allow people to join battle live during a fight. That could indirectly give the possibility of having longer game.
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Of course. In fact, I do hope that's going to be the case.