Envy: Not just the phonetic of Scott's Girlfriend's Name

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Obsydianyte, January 25, 2011.

1. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Dangit, Uber!
    Dangit, dangit, dangit.

I LOVE the PC items to absolute death. Especially the Demoman's hat and Eye patch for the Assault (with whom for all instances anyway I'm terrible).

But alas, I'll never be able to get them, because A} I can't afford the PC version before they expire (which, coincidentally, is when my XBox Live will, too) and B} Even if I could, my laptop is too crappy to run the game.

Curse the fabulous geniuses at both Uber and Steam for coming up with the idea and dangling it in my poor little helpless face. (Read as: I still love you, Uber. Keep on keepin' on. But freakin' dagnabbit.)

Enough of my ongoings, though, I started this thread to see if anyone was in the same boat, because, if you couldn't tell by now, I love the opinions of the masses.

It's input from the community that makes the world go round, after all!

{Apologies in advance for posting this in the wrong forum if I have--I WAS going to post it in Feedback and Issues, but this is more an issue on my part, and not the game's.}
  2. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Laptop issue aside, how can you not come up with $15 in a week?
  3. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

Build a desktop ;). You can put together a budget gaming rig that could run MNC just fine for probably under $500 (excluding monitor). *Sends a donation to syd*

I really enjoy the TF2 hats but I keep hearing complaints about them. TF2 leaves a bad taste to some I guess. I am happy to see a more robust customization system as long as it doesn't go overboard and stays fairly true to the art style.
  4. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

@Zarakon: I'm a college student. All my money (what I DO make anyway, since my job never gives me any hours) goes to college.

I don't even have my books yet. My grant only gave me 1K which took care of only tuition.

@Sunny: Oh? I rather like TF2. I've only ever played it on the Orange Box, though, which is probably why, haha. The items just fuel my passion for MNC even more. I'm already addicted--this is just like an LSD coating to the crack-laced game.

As far as building my own goes, I'm pretty sure my laptop could handle it if I had the right video card. The only question would be whether or not my processor could handle the card. xD I'm not TOO bright on specs, despite my mother being a computer technologist. I only know a little.
  5. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

6. Lorenzo Von Matter

Lorenzo Von Matter New Member

If you have tf2 hats or rare stuff you don't want (if you have tf2 idk) you can get quite alot of money from them, seriously one of my friends made over 100 dollars off stuff from his account
  7. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

You could buy it now and when you get a new PC you'll have all those things. ;)
  8. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

True.
    I just have to find a way to make the money in time.

To the corners, I suppose.

Do I have to Download the game to acquire the items or can I just buy it? (Or does buying it actually activate the download? I dunno how Steam works).

And once I download it, do I have to buy it again to download it on a new PC if/when I get one?
    Or do I just download the client again?
  9. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You buy the game and Steam will send you an email with the purchase information. The game will also be added to your 'Game Library' and can be downloaded at any time that is convenient for you, even weeks, moths or years later.

You can just install Steam on your new PC later, log into your account and download and play all your games. The games are locked to your account and not the PC.
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Also you don't need to run the client to buy games.
  11. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

I believe it's associated with your Steam, but don't quote me on this.

-Steam sees "StriderHoang" buy MNC before Feb 1st. I now have the keys to my items in addition to the game itself. Even if I moved over to a new PC, I just log in as StriderHoang and start playing... assuming MNC is on the PC first.-

edit thanks to forum previews: Well thank you Jessep!

I'm in the same boat. Ok, $15 is fine. As a particularly loose-with-his-money man, I'd be fine buying the game now in the potential future of having a better PC (And not because Scathis gave me the idea. I declare I thought of it long before Scathis).

But $500 to make my ideal PC is more of a goal or a dream for me to achieve in the future then something I wanna rake together right now.

Maybe after I find a career yeah. My PC has enough trouble with TF2 as it is. My computer is ancient. It's practically my little brother.

AGP video card slot? lolwut? 40GB HDD? Ha Ha Ha, oh wow!

In short, you have yourself a begrudging PC customer Scathis. But first I need a do-over on my PC.
  12. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Thanks guys!

I just wish I got more than 1K from my grants so I could abuse the money and get a new PC. Bahaha~

That said, what are some good laptops for gaming? Anyone know?
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Laptop and gaming in one sentence doesn't mix well, it really doesn't.
  14. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Yeah, but I dislike the bulkiness of a tower and monitor.
    If I were to get a desktop at all, it'd be an Mac flat-screen, because all the components are in the monitor.

But the problem with that is that Macs don't play ANY games at all. I think it's due to the absence of a right-mouse button, haha.

Unless Steam games also work on the Mac?

I'd much rather do all my gaming on a slender, portable laptop.
    There are some awesome ones out there (like those XPS's {or pretty much anything with an nVidia card} that would be perfect, but I'm also wondering about the specs {RAM, types of Processors, video/audio cards, etc.}).
  15. DeadStretch

You know you can make an iMac, basically, at less then half the price, right.

As for specs. just get a list of the 5 most games you'd want to play. Compare their max. and min specs and have something in between.

But hey I'm a noob and everything that I know is/was read off of the interwebs where opinion usually out-weights tech info.
  16. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Oh, duh.

I can just get a Mac and Bootcamp it.

Thanks for helping me reach that idea, Stretch. Haha.
  17. DeadStretch

18. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You can buy a Mac and install Windows as operating system. A MAc is nothing more than a stylish and expensive PC really. There are *real* PCs too that have the components built into the monitor. Most of them are designed as home entertainment systems though. I doubt they have the hardware you would want for a gaming PC.

The cheapest and best option is probably this:
    Hook your PC up to your TV (use TV as secondary or even primary display). Put the tower somewhere where it is out of sight. Buy a wireless mouse and keyboard. :cool:
  19. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

If that's the case, I could just build a tower and exclude the monitor!
    That'd save a lot, I imagine.

I'd need the proper tower-to-display cable, though. Dunno what that would be.

I'll go to a MicroCenter. They know eeeeverything. Haha.
    But just so I have reference, I would like a list of potential parts or stats to look out for.
  20. DeadStretch

You just opened up the flood gates with that.