Enemy spotted, got blank display screen

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zenoxio, September 6, 2014.

1. zenoxio

zenoxio New Member

I was playing the first map for the first time with 1 AI, and after about 30min I got the "Enemy spotted" alert or the sort. I clicked it and my screen went blank (UI still showed up).

Planetary Annihilation_2014-09-05_20-24-30.jpg

No matter where I clicked (other planets etc) I couldn't get my screen back. Any ideas?

DxDiag attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 6, 2014
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I get this sometimes too. It seems to happen if you click the warning too quickly.
    When the PiP window comes up there's like a sixth of a second where the window is blank before rendering/focusing on the area with the enemy. From what I can tell, if the game is lagging that sixth of a second is a lot longer, so when you click on it you're sent to the blank screen, I guess the game just doesn't know what to do once you're in the blank screen so you can't get out of it.

That's purely speculation on my part, so I'm not really sure if this is the case or if that even makes sense, but that's what it looks like to me.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Try to press F5 to reload the UI. That's a sledge hammer kinda of thing to maybe fix UI issues.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Hold up, I think I see what's happening.
    I just had it happen to me in a game, it happens when an orbital radar detects the enemy for the first time as an enemy orbital unit is launched by the orbital launcher, but since no unit is present until the launcher's animation is done, it gets confused and doesn't know where to send the camera.

EDIT: no wait, that's not it either. Looks like it just kinda happens when it wants to.
  5. playfun

playfun New Member

I just had the same issue. I was mid-fight when the screen went blank with that flat color as a background with only the UI visible. I could still click on the UI elements and hear the selection noises, etc. but the actual game visuals were gone.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
  6. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

You could start by posting your Dxdiag so that I can check your system specs for any driver related issues.
  7. zenoxio

zenoxio New Member

8. kjotak109

Your Nvidia drivers are a few months old:
    Code:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.3788
    Driver Date/Size: 5/19/2014 22:44:03, 17480432 bytes
    The latest Nvidia driver can be found here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77224/en-us

The rest of your Dxdiag looks fine.
  9. playfun

playfun New Member

Here's my Dxdiag info...

Attached Files:

10. kjotak109

Your drivers are fine; they are the latest version available. However, I do notice that you are using multiple monitors. Have you tried running on only one monitor to see if the issue persists?

Are you running any third party software, including the ones from this list?
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/
  11. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I had this too last game. Very unfortunate because it was an epic match.

I managed to escape this using Pip, but only once, after that pip goes blank too.

So I had to quit to main menu, thinking I could reconnect, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

So it also happens on mac.
  12. zenoxio

zenoxio New Member

I had this happen again, just not from the "Enemy spotted" alert. I can still select units when this happens. I'm updating my vid drivers, but doubt that'll help.
  13. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

I am having the same problem, Is it a bug or driver problem?
    should i redownload the game, i was playing on PTE till the lastest update?

Attached Files:

14. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

Update on my end, F5 fixes the problem.
  15. whisperr

whisperr Member

When the preview window is empty and you click on it then it redirects you to "empty" screen. It has nothing to do with graphic drivers.
  16. playfun

playfun New Member

Single monitor doesn't seem to make a difference. I am not running any of the 3rd party apps on that list, either. Based upon some threads in the SC2 forums I am beginning to wonder if there's a bug with the Nvidia GTX 770's... anyone else having this issue running a 700 series card?

17. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I think you get teh "spotted" message by accident. Or the position returned is somehow not valid. Mostly happens with orbital radar messages.

If you click on those your entire team will be affect.

Hit F5 to relaod the UI, that fixed it for me every time I forget it is there.
  18. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

@playfun I have a 780 and have this problem often. F5 always works. I'm going to triple check my drivers in the morning...