Empire Mode

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mjshorty, August 4, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Note this is an idea, maybe considered for modding use or WAY later in dev process, but i wanted to type it up so i wouldnt forget so sue me lol xD

Basically the idea is, if you destroy a commander, the commander will not blow up, nor all the buildings being destroyed in the process, but rather, the commander will now be a 'part' of your empire and all those buildings are now allied to you.
    And repeat the process until everyone is a part of your 'Glorious' empire!
    if you take out another empire, that entire empire will be a part of your control.

This would be hilarious for FFA games as it would start with an FFA then turn into a team-game
  2. nguk9

nguk9 New Member

Could be a mode yeah for sure.
  3. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I like the idea. Sure, there's always the chance that team balance will snowball out of control ... but then again such a game mode wouldn't be used for "serious" gaming. Especially with larger systems or the upcoming increased players numbers (40 player FFA!), this could lead to some really amazing matches.
    xankar, vyolin and RainbowDashPwny like this.
  4. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

I'd definitely play a game mode like this. I was mulling over a very similar idea myself a while back but never posted it because I couldn't decide whether to stick it in general discussion or in the modding forum.

My plan was for an "Inheritance" game mode with a little bit of back up lore along the lines of all surviving units re-pairing with a new comm when their comm was destroyed. I like your idea of bringing the other player on-board in a shared army style scenario though. Keeps things interesting.
    RainbowDashPwny likes this.
  5. mjshorty

Well it also keeps the players fighting even when eliminated early game. a frustrating thing (for me) in huge FFAs is getting destroyed very early on (usually being attacked by 2 or 3 players at once) and having to just 'watch' the action unfold
    xankar likes this.
  6. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Sounds amazing. Like that game Blob Tag I used to play as a kid, but with badass armies.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that is actually brilliant and super easy to do. I doubt Uber couldn't include this in release.
  8. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

This would make free-for-all games so AWESOME! It would be easier to do ffa tourneys too.
  9. mjshorty

well with Tournaments its hard to say, since what happens to the underlings of your glorious empire? they can sometimes screw your empire by not doing anything and wasting space (creating 100s of metal storages) and forcing you to delete their commander because they are being bad sports and dont want that specific person to win o_O

Other modes could be Total Empire mode
    ~ Commanders that have been "re-educated" to work for your glorious empire could be locked in a sort of fortress/prison known as a "re-education camp" (lol) , and an enemy empire can 'free' them and that player and army will now be a part of their control, although they need to go through another "re-education camp"

~ Vangaurd (for 40 man) once your glorious empire has 're-educated' (through abusive means of course! ^^ ) 5 commanders, your own forces will become the 'vanguard' of your glorious empire and will have increased health, damage, and speed, since you are able to draw on the resources from many kingdoms/commanders or some other ridiculous excuse for that mechanic

other things like commanders being blown up...but what about units and factories? they could be set to transfer to the glorious emperors control or be destroyed like normal

Oh the glee! for my glorious empire is of course...more glorious then yours in every way possible and will vanquish it with utmost destruction and abusive means!
  10. knub23

knub23 Active Member

I like the idea but the snowballing is really a problem. It is basically like getting an ally each time you win against someone. That means the people who are already strong and win against others become even stronger. Another side effect is that good players will pick the weaker players and eliminate them first to get the advantage of conquering someone. I don't know if this increases the fun for new players. So there should be a penalty when your empire grows. But that is hard to do without going against WYSIWYG. Maybe reduce the efficiency of economic buildings by 20% for 5 minutes every time you conquer someone. Or no energy for 30 seconds because the takeover drains your energy until it is finished. Just random ideas.

The point of these penalties is: They force you to make a decision when to conquer someone. It is not just: I conquer everyone to become stronger. With penalties this could be a fun game mode.
    stuart98 and davostheblack like this.
  11. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

I think the gain you get from it is really going to depend what you destroy on the way to the commander. If you wreak havok on your opponents eco before killing the comm you're suddenly going to be lumbered with a whole load of new production you simply can't support. It's a double edge sword. Weaker players are also going to be a risk to kill as their eco is less likely to be balanced in the first place so you would want to avoid them or completely wipe them out.

Things would still snowball sometimes, but not necessarily always in favour of a single player. We'll have to wait and see if someone can mod it in and see how it looks and feels.
  12. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

I'm just waiting patiently for someone to mod in Phantom Mode.

It was MADE for this game.

Hell it can't even be that hard, I'm very terrible at programming but couldn't the game just do a basic roll at the start based on number of players, and give whoever it wins +20 economy?

Force that and dynamic alliances and that's all you need really, anything else is gravy

But some versions of Phantom mode incorporate aspects of this which is why I mention it. Somewhat similar ideas in some ways. At least I think both have the potential to be modded in relatively easily.
    j4cko likes this.
  13. mjshorty

it can be a sub-mode to have eco reduced
    however i dislike the idea of something punishing you for playing well

as for new players i think it will be an advantage for them, because isnt it boring/annoying to be eliminated completely early on?
    the new players just have to watch all the action going on, but still being a part of that huge action will be much better to new players, and gets them a chance to experience the late game.
    Besides...they are a part of my 'glorious' empire....we offer free dental
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

If I say WYSIWYG ...two more times ....that's 446 018 526 387 687 486 748 627 187 481 215 WYSIWYGs in this f**ked up rhyme
  15. mjshorty

*accidental thread bump* (teehee)
    bradaz85 likes this.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Could be fun to assimilate a enemy commander, but without the other player having control any more (Preventing blatant betrayals.

But would be unbalanced for snipes.

Could be an idea to have 2/3's of the captured commanders forces self destruct anyway, making new claims weaker, and prone to opposing forces.
  17. mjshorty

Erm, they have total control over their structures and units, but are treated as 'allied' also snipes have always been a thing, i dont see any real difference other then you still living and a part of a most 'glorious' empire ^^
  18. igncom1

Well it would be more, you convert me, and then I just self destruct my stuff to spite you.

So I don't see letting them continue to have their stuff being possible in a MP environment.
  19. mjshorty

Its not supposed to be serious, its supposed to be casual fun ^^ and if you really think spiting people will happen, that can be easily remedied by moving the delete command fuction to the glorious emperor to delete any....rebellious states.....
  20. igncom1

Thats the problem however, opposing players have no reason to cooperate at all.

So what's the point? might as well delete them right off before they can mess around.

It would be fine between friends.