Elder Scrolls Online beta

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by zaphodx, February 12, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Anyone tried this out? Personally I actually enjoyed it. It's unbelievably expensive but maybe after next beta testing period I might even preorder it. However the price is just insane when you factor in a $15/month subscription fee on top.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

World of Warcraft charges for every expansion, and the base game cost money back in the day as well.

I see it as being expensive, but worth it considering the artwork is far superior to that of WoW (even considering the graphical update which is only possible because the game earns more money than most first-world countries combined).

Not for me though, I avoid MMOs.
  3. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

having been in the last two beta's, the general consensus I've found is it's not worth it. The gameplay is just... eugh, there's no feedback to the hits and every enemy is a ghost (ie no collisions). The worlds are pretty but it's linear and zoned: I keep feeling the first thing a potential "wow-killer" needs is a truly open world, without loading screens aside from between continents or HUGE land-masses.
    I still maintain what The Elder Scrolls series needed instead was just another installment, but with small-scale multiplayer. The fun of finding hidden treasure and dungeons, hunting down rogue dragons and bandits, taking bounties and just travelling the land - that stuff is just missing from ESO
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Same here. It's tempting but MMOs suck up too much time and I don't like the grind.

If I had to guess I would say it's probably not worth it to get it now unless you are a huge fan. It's probably better to wait and see if they have enough endgame content. That's usually the problem with new MMOs, isn't it? You make your way to the higher levels and then you grind the same quests every day because they didn't have enough time and budget to flesh it all out.
  5. light0

light0 Member

I know nothing about whats going to be in this game, but my gut feeling is telling me "no thanks". The combat in Oblivion and Skyrim quite frankly just sucked. The vanilla versions are imo (apart from the world) quite forgettable and not enhanced in anyway by making it an MMO.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Played in three of the beta weekends so far, and it's gorgeous in many ways, but the experience still feels a bit too MMO for me. I really want co-op Elder Scrolls, not MMO elder scrolls. But I am likely not the target audience regardless, so.. I'll keep playing and modding Skyrim instead. :) I think ESO is looking great, I just have had my fill of MMO style mechanics for a lifetime. Until someone does something truly unique and amazing (though the world building in EQN is looking interesting), I'm not likely to go back to the MMO world. Too much time for me to commit.
    kvalheim likes this.
  7. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Inb4 this becomes F2P in six months.
    Quitch likes this.
  8. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

ESO is fun as far as MMOs go, but it's $60 + $15 a month, and I just no longer wish to pay for that model of gaming. Even if it was just a flat $60 I probably wouldn't pay for it. So....pretty much what garat said is what I think.

I wish I still found MMOs fun, but even when they're high quality I find myself bored really quickly. It's nothing against the game itself, though. Just something clicked and I no longer enjoy them for very long.
  9. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

ESO doesn't look very enticing.

EQN has potential.
  10. worksofart

worksofart Member

11. totallynotzoom

totallynotzoom Member

This game is crap
  12. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

Played on one beta weekend, and the game just felt like another MMO. The only upside was that there weren't a billion spells on the UI and the combat.
    I only started the Elder Scrolls series with Skyrim, and i'm just hoping that they could have built on that foundation as it was a brilliant rpg.