DunkTank's Pro [TANK] Guide

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by DunkTank, August 18, 2010.

1. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

*Edit* Jet Gun's Death Blossom will soon be affected by clip size, so plan accordingly!

HOW TO SLAY KIDS WITH THE TANK CLASS

As a tank, you are expected to lay the wood on little soldiers as well as give them the daddy 9 times out of 10.

Weapons -

RAILGUN - Long range, powerful weapon. Similar to a sniper rifle without a scope. Deadly in crossmap firefights and to bots. Alternate fire is a grapple.

JET GUN/JET ENGINE - Devestating short/ short mid range weapon with continuous fire. Does fire damage after the beam has stopped, so this gun does cause for many grave kills. Alternate fire is a Death Blossom Spin. Powerful and, when used with Reload Speed endorsement, is deadly.

Abilities

Charge - The charge can be used to de-ring enemies as well as cause substantial damage.

Product Grenade - The product grenade is a useful crowd control tool as it briefly stuns turrets and bots, allowing for you to run in and death blossom the crap out of them.

Mounting Up - Upgrading this ablility, IMO is pointless. However, many find it useful when paired with the product grenade. This combination allows the player to stun a turret and quickly move in to mount up and destroy it. This is usually doable with level 2 or even 1, so use your own discretion when purchasing upgrades for this ability.

ENDORSEMENTS
    GOLD: Rate of Fire - Rate of fire is a great gold endorsement mainly because of the railgun. The railgun is not utilized as much as it should be in tank play, but with a faster fire rate, it is devestating. Use this combo to safely take out gunners from afar, destroy turrets, firebases, and annoy snipers. Also, this endorsement increases the DPS of your Jet Engine gun.

SILVER: Armor - With silver armor, not only are you even harder to kill, but you are also able to survive an assassin's grapple from behind. Along with a fully upgraded Passive spec, you legitimately are like a friggin' tank.

BRONZE: Reload Speed - This comes in handy mainly in situations regarding multiple weak enemies/assassins because you want to be able to dish out your Death Blossom attack, one of the tank's more powerful attacks, more efficiently.

Upgrade Order

1) Product Grenade 2
    2) Tank/Passive 2
    3) Charge 2
    4) Tank/Passive 3
    5) Product Grenade 3
    6) Charge 3

If I have a surplus of money I will occasionally upgrade my deploy to level 2, but the rest I usually spend on turrets, bots, and juice at endgame.

Taking down other classes

Assassins - These are probably the easiest class for a tank to kill. Shurikens are next to useless against a tank, so the assassin will try to grapple you. A grapple from behind, along with silver/gold armor, will NOT kill you. Once you have been grappled, or suspect that you are about to be, use the Death Blossom to light her on fire, and then hose them down with another clip from your Jet Engine.

Gunners - Typically, I try not to mess with gunners. However, in certain situations you can get an easy kill. Mounted gunners are easily disposed of with a railgun (longrange) or a charge + Jet Engine to the back. Otherwise, only attack gunners from behind or with a railgun from med/long range. This is because attacking head on against a gunner is suicide. The dps of the minigun is too substantial for even a gold armor level 3 passive tank. Just because you're a tank, doesn't mean you're invincible.

Assaults - Assaults are tricky because they can keep you out of Jet gun range and too close to comfortably pull out your railgun while still doing damage. In this case, they will most likely be backpedaling or elevated, so either charge and jet gun them or back up and pull out the railgun to pop them off. Watch out for their charge/grapple attack too, because it can easily de-ring you. In case of being grappled, immediately after the animation, use your charge and jets to attempt to relocate yourself on the battlefield.

Supports - Supports are also simple, Jet Gun them until they stop talking in that annoying accent. However, if there is a firebase with them, take it out with a railgun and a teammate before you move in. Be wary of the shotgun though, because it WILL kill you if you get too close. Stay just within range of your Jet Gun while attacking.

Snipers - These guys will get mad headshots on you if you arent careful, so be sure to use cover as much as possible when moving in on these guys Watch out for traps because a Tank in an icetrap is like stealing candy from a baby. Again, don't let them grapple you, because you most likely will die. Use your railgun from afar if you feel uneasy about closing in, because the way the Tank uses weapons allows you to shoot around cover without highly exposing yourself.

Other Tanks - Tricky because they can attack with whatever you can. Just try to get the jump on them or weaken them with your railgun before moving in.

End of the Game : Buy Juice and go use even a level 1 mount up and destroy the moneyball. Be sure to draw enemy fire so your teammates can push up.

Before you move in, be sure to use your product grenade if you spot an attackable opponent as it does substantial damage as well as blinds them (if fully upgraded). Use this on turrets as well as it destroys them very quickly.

Use cover and take sneaky routes as you are a big target and easily spotted. You need to move in close to quickly take down opponents, so cover is your friend.

Use your charge to quickly move through heavy fire areas if you cannot stop to fight.

Use your death blossom attack to quickly destroy bots and clear lanes for your bots as most bots go down in 1 DB hit.

Also, the railgun takes down bots quickly if you are in a pinch and cannot move in to kill the bots.

What does everybody think of this guide? ^^

Any suggestions, let me know :D
    Last edited: September 7, 2010
  2. Cmoney215

Cmoney215 New Member

Re: Tank Strategies (How to give out rapesauce)

It was a good read and makes me want to play a tank more than i do since i'm pretty much play assasin exclusively :D :D :D
  3. SushiBomb

SushiBomb New Member

I use the deploy skill all the time. You can use it to park in front of a Jackbot to burn it down (you can't be knocked back and you regen faster than it hurts you.)

Same strategy applies to Laserblasers and Longshots.
  4. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

My point is in combat you never are going to actually mount up, so I see it as spending money that could be used to fortify a base
  5. NardDog

NardDog New Member

I too would agree that the deploy is well used when taking out jackbots as well as their smaller cousins.
  6. Cmoney215

Cmoney215 New Member

i've played this game quite a bit and i haven't seen a bot called jackbot xl cousin so i dont know what you mean by that and also the deploy makes you a non moving tank and that makes you the easiest tank to kill so i would have to disagree and say that deploying as a tank can bring you many deaths
  7. Shammas

Shammas New Member

As a tank player, I approve this guide. Just 1 thing though, I'm 99% sure snipers can still headshot you from behind.
  8. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

Thanks man, but I mean I could be wrong, I just seem to have survived alot of shots from behind, but I'll check it out. Thanks again.
  9. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

I can imagine deploying being useful destroying turrets with bot support or even better, team support, but it's something to be saved during the endgame when pushing bots gets more and more important with the sheer volume of black jacks being spawned.

Yes, the deploy is rather difficult use in a game, but it doesn't have to be useless, especially if you deem it useless.

Someone has also made a point of retreating with level 2 deploy from a bad match up and going around the corner to deploy. You set up a trap if they decide to chase but more importantly, you recover health faster and can get back in quicker.
  10. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

It seems to me that if you are in a bad matchup you most likely would be low health or still at disadvantage if somebody in pursuit chases you around a corner. Most people wouldnt chase a medium high health tank around a corner knowing full well that they have that deploy ability and arguably the strongest short range weapon in the game.

I do agree in its Turret destroying ability, but Tanks arent really made for destroying turrets, I like to leave that to Supports/Bots/Gunners. Besides, your product grenade does a good deal of damage to turrets anyway, so I just dont see a large advantage with mounting up in an enemy base and becoming a sitting duck.
  11. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

I guess what I mean to say is, there are plenty other ways to destroy turrets, so it becomes a matter of preference. Also, if youre in an obvious disadvantage in a fight, running away and mounting up seems like a bad idea because your health will regen without the mount anyway and more than likely nobody will chase you, and if they do you probably will not kill them.
  12. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

I'll concede that most tank players (including myself) see deploy as experimental at best, useless at worst (though I think many think it's pretty lulzy to use when the moneyball goes down during overtime with juice on).

Still, it has certain merits, or at the very least, I'll be experimenting with it in future matches. I imagine putting my back to the wall and seeing how far the extended range goes anyways. I think with my back to the wall on Lazerrazor, the enemy will at least have to expose himself to your extended jet gun.

tl;dr, it's a major consenus to ignore deploy but I'm willing to experiment with it, at least when we're in the lead anyways.
  13. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Deploy is niche, but useful. The big thing is that increases the range of your jet gun. You can then use this to out range unhacked rocket turrets and kill them. Deploy is also useful vs Jackbot XLs. I don't know if it is actually worth upgrading. The health will help you stick on a turret for a few more seconds (which could be the extra second you need to destroy it.)

A good example of a place to use deploy is in Lazerazor arena. You can deploy at the doorway in the tunnel (the one the bots don't walk through) and take out the rocket turret with the extra range. If the enemy isn't watching for a tunnel attack, you will be able to take out their rocket turret in the first minute.
  14. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Tanks are awesome at destroying turrets. The grenade will stun them long enough for you to get into close range and a lvl3 will usually take them to 1/2 or lower health.

Turrets are usually my #1 priority when hitting the enemy base.
  15. Myrick

Myrick New Member

I know it's already been said, but yes, you can headshot tanks (and gunners) from behind. I've done both.
  16. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

You're right, I tested it, and I will edit.
  17. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

I don't think I explained enough that in some situations deploy can be useful, but I don't see it being worth the $550 to get it fully upgraded. I will edit.
  18. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

In my playstyle, I don't want to mount up in an enemy base, but if it works for you, I'll add it.
  19. Dharknite Prime

Dharknite Prime New Member

I found found level 3 deploy to helpful in late in game when enemy jackbots are more frequent especially in overtime. Having virtually unlimited ammo with the ROF endorsements have allowed me to solo a few jackbots in row.
  20. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

I definitely don't deploy to take down turrets. I just stand toe to toe and let 'er rip.
    The only time I ever deploy offensively is on the moneyball with juice running. This is mainly for the health regen but also so I can't be grappled/tossed around and waste the juice.