[DSCSSN] Recreating Seton's Clutch

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, November 28, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'm sure this is a topic on many people's minds right now. As a planet means that the remake could differ significantly from the original and a number of parameters should be discussed,I thought I'd open a topic for doing so as well as sharing potential seeds.

Planet Type: Tropical? Deserts intruding on the map wouldn't look right.
    Radius: 800-1100. I was thinking 900 would be a good size.

Layout: Two large spawn areas on land on opposite sides of the planet or as close to it as possible since we can't place them and are thus forced to hope that they're as far away from the line of symmetry as possible. TWO thin sections of land going between them, on opposite ends of each base, forming two oceans. One large island in the center of each ocean, possibly with some smaller islands scattered throughout.
    Metal: About 18 metal per spawn area, and 20 metal scattered across each bridge. (20 per bridge). 10 metal on each large island, 20 metal in each ocean, around 3-5 metal on each small island.

Discuss.
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

[DSCSSNBBQ] :p

Setons was one of the more tiresome SupCom maps for me, but I think just because it got played to death. The map itself was pretty good.
    xankar and warrenkc like this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Recreating maps designed for one-directional play seems to me to rather miss the point of what PA enables us to do.
    kaminfreunde, cwarner7264 and Bsport like this.
  4. cptconundrum

I don't know, Gandalf's arena map was really fun when I played it.
    xankar and warrenkc like this.
  5. stuart98

Four directional under my plan.

Bridge one, bridge two, ocean one, ocean two.

SupCom Seton's was three directional.
    warrenkc and cptconundrum like this.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No it wasn't, you started on one side and headed for the other. It had multiple lanes, all of them went in the same direction.
  7. cptconundrum

And as long as spawns are on opposite sides of the planet, the only direction you can ever move in is towards the other base.
    stuart98, xankar, theseeker2 and 3 others like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If you start at the pole, there can be multiple lanes, all of which go to the same direction, the other pole.

It isn't exactly the same, but for all intents and purposes, you can look at it like 2 half maps that wrap. Either way, you always defend/attack from "down". Still one directional.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. stuart98

The enemy's gate base is down?
    xankar, sigmud2, mered4 and 2 others like this.
  10. cptconundrum

I think about that a lot when playing PA, actually.
    xankar, stuart98 and mered4 like this.
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

A planet called Setons Clutch, and the actual planet being based on FAs setons clutch would be awesome <3
    warrenkc likes this.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

a littl bigger than that for correct tnavy play to be able to happen : )
  13. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I like the idea of simplifying the spherical gameplay. It is too hard to see important events. Anyway, my idea for the simple game play is to make a play area about the size of a Seton's Clutch from FA and put that on a giant planet. So the game play would be within that rectangle but still on a sphere. I hope that makes sense.
  14. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

15. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Equivalent of setons clutch for PA would be system with 2 planets size 500 and 2 moons around 300.
    You cannot turtle enough on same planet as enemy in PA for map to have that setons feel.

Edit: maybe huge lava planet with roughly same layout. It is hard to say anything without working navy.
  16. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

17. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Basically, what you are saying is limit the play area to a certain area on the planet itself? Devs would have to do something to make such a limit possible, but would provide the opportunity for quick, dirty, competitive matches.
    warrenkc likes this.
  18. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Yeah that would totally make it easy for people to play. It would still be on sphere but the size of the planet would make it seem almost flat. actually I'm almost surprised they didn't make an easier version of this game like that for people to use. for the unused portions of the planet it could be very low detail and blacked out or something so that it doesn't take a long time to load.
  19. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

The likelyhood of this happening is low without a lot of community support, I personally like the idea, but who knows what everyone else will say
  20. stuart98

BOW BEFORE MY MS PAINT SKILLZ

[​IMG]
    cdrkf and igncom1 like this.