Drive by nukes now a possability

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tontow, March 7, 2014.

1. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Change orbit is now in game and it works! :D

So now that we have the ability to change a planet's orbit (even if it is a fist pass), what tactics can be combined with this?

What tactics should we be able to do that we can't just yet?

Personally, I'm thinking along the lines of planetary doge ball.
    LavaSnake, vackillers and websterx01 like this.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Such game, much doge, very win!

Screenshot_2014-03-08-09-25-05.png

Err.... to answer the question, what calorizzante said.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
    iron420 likes this.
  3. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Every new bit is welcome and I trust that the Devs at Uber are doing their very best.

Still, changing a planet's orbit, so that we can nuke it, sounds like a shortcut to delay other more interesting (and surely harder to code) ways for invading planets.

To answer your question, I welcome the possibility, but at the moment I still prefer to play on Systems with one unique planet and few orbiting Moons.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what others suggest. Perhaps I'm missing few interesting aspects on the topic and I'll promptly change my mind.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

whut, changing orbits is ACTUALLY IN?? :D
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I started a thread in the baker forum a while back about drive by nukes. The concensus was that we need a halley cooldown.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I don't know that this will be very useful unless you're only on one planet. Why do a drive by nuck with your halleys when you can smash the planet?
  7. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Because you may prefer keeping your moon filled by metal, energy and factories
    Geers, EdWood, cptconundrum and 2 others like this.
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

yeh, presumably if there are a few planets and you are on the one with the most resources and an established base, you don't want to waste it.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The devs are weird.

This is a pretty big deal, yet they didn't announce it. 0.o
    drz1 and stuart98 like this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ye but considering generally this is a last enemy to kill situation.....

personally as illogical as it may seem i think moving planets should require norm number of haileys and using it as kew much more.
    bigdumbobject likes this.
  11. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Also, it's risky to use for smashing the planet where your own commander is. There's that one Astraeus trick where your commander will land on the planet just shortly after it has been smashed - I wonder how its success probability is. But even then, it's only valid in a 2-planet system, where you can be sure that all the enemy commanders are on the target planet.
    drz1 likes this.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I haven't tried it, but people say it is pretty buggy and can cause crashes. They might not want to talk about it much yet.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

nahh
    no crashes. It's just not obvious when you've clicked another planet you've done it. but if you use comma and zoom back in you'll see it's happening.

I think it not looking too hot (namely planets going through each other in the process and the GUI for it not being done) is really what concerns them more.
  14. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

What commands I'm I supposed to use for planet smashing or moving the planet? I can't find it on the ui anymore
  15. brianpurkiss

Well. I did it! It's pretty darn buggy.

When the planet made it to the new destination, the engines stayed on so it kept on orbiting the new planet extremely rapidly. And then when I tried to get orbital fabbers from the moved planet onto the planet it just moved to, all of the unit froze. I could move around and click on stuff, but nothing moved.

I'm finishing up a video tutorial on how to do it.

When I'm done, I'll post it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/pamatches/
    drz1 likes this.
  16. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Exactly, lol... it is still buggy. I tried it too and I launched like 8 nukes... but they kept orbiting my moon, looked like my moon was moving faster than the rockets flying. ^^
  17. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

How do you change orbit. Does the planet have to have the marks next to it such as for planet crashing or can any planet change orbit. I think it would be a cool feature to make any planet change orbit with 4 halleys built.
  18. aevs

aevs Post Master General

There are a few other changes that haven't been announced lately, like that ctl+click on a continuous build factory will set a unit to build once in front of the queue (non-continuous).

Too many awesome changes to keep track of in my opinion :D
  19. brianpurkiss

Here's a video on how to change orbits!

eukanuba and drz1 like this.
  20. CYBERgrim

CYBERgrim New Member

I have tried this 2 times now on 2 different maps. It orbits too fast and the nukes cannot leave orbit.