Drastically different FPS rates depending on how the game is launched

Discussion in 'Support!' started by superouman, October 3, 2014.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Since my pc upgrade in mid-august, i noticed a very strange behavior of the game. If i launch it through the official launcher, i have ~10 fps or less even at the beginning of the game. The settings on both pictures are Uber graphics 175% supersample. I know i have mods activated on those pictures but it doesn't matter, i already tested with mods off a long time ago.

pa 2014-10-03 12-37-21-52.jpg

If i launch directly PA.exe, i have great fps as you can see. (stable, PTE, x86, x64)

PA 2014-10-03 12-40-37-72.jpg

There are no differences in memory usage of CoherentUI, in both cases, i have 20+ processes running.

My drivers are up to date, they are 5 days old.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Does it keep the launcher around maybe? The launcher eats a lot of CPU for no good reason.
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Nope, the launcher closes itself. There is just this crapton of CoherentUI processes but i guess this is normal.

Attached Files:

4. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I have also seen this before. The launcher does something to the performance.
  5. earth75

earth75 Member

maybe the launcher adds crappy launch options to PA.exe by mistake
  6. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

The uber launcher runs the game with the "--ticket " launch option with a really long string of numbers and letters as an argument. You can turn on the command line column in Task Manager to see all the launch options.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That ticket is used to autologin, I would be very suprised to see it has any effect on performance.
  8. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I think the Launcher is not releasing something in Coherant, it spawns 3 Coherant process's and one seems to chew up a good chunk of RAM even before the game is launched.

After the game launches this process stay's open and doesn't close.

If there is a coherant limit in the game files then launching from the launcher will reduce the amount of coherant process the game can use as the Launcher leaves a few of it's own coherant processes open.

I think i saw somewhere there was a limit of 12 coherant process, so f the launcher has 2 processes running then the game can only use 10 processes