Download only 500MB?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by termep, September 26, 2013.

1. termep

termep New Member

Hello everyone,

atm I'm downloading the beta on Steam (can't wait to play! :D), and I was just wondering: Is PA only 501.0MB small? I expected about 3 or more GB.
    Or will Steam download additional files after these 500MB? All the updates maybe?
    And, if it's really only 500MB, why so small? Because of the graphic-style? SC2 was about 3 or 4 GB I remember.

I'm just asking because I have a download rate about 75 kb/s and want to know if I can play in 2 hours or if I have to download over night (in Germany it's 9:00 PM).
    Sorry for my bad english ;)
    tunsel11 likes this.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

3. duncane

duncane Active Member

It will decompress to around 4 GB I think.
  4. termep

termep New Member

Ok, I expected this :/. Then tomorrow! Thanks for your fast reply :)
  5. Treznor

Treznor New Member

I've only downloaded 500mb from steam and there is no further updating it seems. it does not appear that I can join any games either, something does not appear to be correct
  6. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

Game is very small right now, it doesn't actually have many assets, there are only 100 so low poly units, and all maps are made dynamically with a few textures and procedural terrain.

Games have 3gb+ when they start adding a variety of textures and sounds for their games. And since this isn't a game with many assets its small but fun.
    termep likes this.
  7. termep

termep New Member

8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, because this game using procedural generation for planets. Game itself only store basic assets and models and maps are generated on the fly. E.g multiple planets can easily use up to 2GB of RAM, but nothing is stored on HDD.

Even when you "save" planet or solar system game only save generation settings and planets position/mass/etc, but not real 3D geometry.
    termep likes this.
  9. shockchief

shockchief New Member

my personal game folder is atm just under 1g of memory taken, so no it really does not take much.

but wait once more music and texture get in it will become a bit bigger, but no 20g game
  10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It does not. Most of the stuff (especially the planets!) is generated by procedural algorithms during runtime, thats why it is so small.

Regular games are usually just that big, because of the size of the maps. Individual models, textures and stuff isn't that much, but a simple map stuffed with features can consume 50MB with ease.
    termep likes this.