Download links for Linux?

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by hobarrera, June 15, 2013.

1. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

I seen mentions of the linux builds, but not a download link.
    Am I wrong and there's no alpha release yet? If there is, where do I download it?
    (sorry if I missed something rather obvious).
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's only available though Steam, but currently not for me. E.g my steam client won't download it.
    Not quite yet.
    If you won't use Steam (which isn't probably function yet) you need to wait when Uber release their launcher. There no direct downloads.
  3. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Now I love you even more, right way for Linux builds. ;)

Would you use Python/C++ Qt-based community launcher/updater if it will be good enough? I thinking about coding one, I can release it under any suitable license.
  5. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

I think that would certainly be a worthwhile topic of discussion. We've pretty much decided that Mono isn't going to get the job done for us, so we're re-evaluating our options.

Please shoot me your email address via PM, so I can contact you more easily as we continue to push our Linux development.
  6. asgo

asgo Member

thanks for that. :)

PA runs almost out of the box, the only thing I had to do was adding a newer libc6 to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH than Debian stable uses itself (not PA's fault since the stable is a bit .. stable ;) ).

first impressions performance-wise are not bad. with just the Intel HD 4000 from the 3770k ivy bridge I still get 30+ fps in the initial phase, expected worse from igpu + linux drivers.
    Have too see how it looks later
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's quite interesting. Do you have Windows on this hardware? I just curios what's difference in performance is, because for some Win-users it's doesn't run at all on HD cards.
  8. asgo

asgo Member

I was surprised too, from the initial responses from win+ intel hd I didn't expect much.
    on that box is just linux and my windows pc has a totally different hardware (phenom + nividia), which makes hardware vs. software comparisons near to impossible. ;)
  9. theggman

theggman Member

Glad to hear you are disbanding Mono. Its always been quite painful on Linux to be honest. As much as I hate to say it.. What about considering a java based Launcher? Java does run a lot better than Mono does.. on Linux. Still not the best solution.. as well... Java is a memory pig (this is only the tip of the iceberg).
  10. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Java sounds like a good option if they're making one unified cross-platform solution, which they might not want to do as they already have the c# launcher for windows. Like .NET it can bring its own issues, but far more workable than c#/mono afaik.

sxx making a community launcher with Qt sounds ideal in the long run :D

Thank you for the tar.
  11. sput42

sput42 New Member

Yes, I'm all for Qt. It's C++ (or Python, if you prefer), it's cross-platform (Win, Linux, Mac), and it has everything you'll ever need from a framework, from file access over network access to a cross-platform and properly styled GUI.

And it's much less cumbersome to deploy even on non-Linux boxen than, say, Java.
  12. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I've worked on several QT projects, and I have to agree. QT is one of the most impressive frameworks out there. Highly recommended!
  13. sput42

sput42 New Member

That said, probably going for Qt/C++ makes more sense than Qt/Python, simply because then you don't have to bother with deployment of Python on Windows.
  14. theggman

theggman Member

QT is not a bad choice, I forgot it has a framework for just about any platform.
  15. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

I'm also all in favour of QT. Great choince IMO.
    I've never depoyed or programmed anything for windows, so I've no idea how you'd get python running (if possible), though I belive you'd need cygwin for C++, right?

Has Desura ever been given any thought? It's a pretty solid cross-platform game delivery system, and is totally DRM-free. :)
  16. yrrep

yrrep Member

You don't need cygwin for Qt on Windows, it builds fine with MSVC. Official Qt releases are built with both MSVC and MinGW afaik.

Qt/C++ is a great choice, we use it extensively at work. For something small like a launcher, QtQuick may be an option as well. Layout is defined in a markup language called QML, behaviour is implemented in Javascript. Whoever works on the PA UI might feel right at home using QtQuick.
  17. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in and add my vote and appreciation for Linux support!! You guys rock! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I chose to back a team and project that makes such good decisions!!! :cool:
  18. yrrep

yrrep Member

Any news on a new launcher? If you go for Qt/C++ I wouldn't mind lending a hand either.