Do you think we need female units and commanders in the game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by flamerage, February 9, 2013.

1. flamerage

flamerage New Member

There should be a gender selection.
  2. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Re: Do you think we need female units and commanders in the

I always considered the commanders to be asexual, much like mechs in the Mechwarrior universe. It's only when you go over to anime that you start seeing giant robots with feminine curves and breasts. (And really, why would they need that? They don't exactly reproduce in the conventional human sense . . .)
    Besides, if you start making the commanders have more than just the residual human bipedal shape, you start categorizing them in a way that doesn't make sense, given their nature.
    I'm all for gender equality in games, but for a game like PA, it comes off more as patronizing to put in a "female" just to get that feminine appeal across.
  3. Oskar272

Oskar272 New Member

Just saying they are robots.
  4. flamerage

flamerage New Member

ok but it kind of awkward that all commanders are going to be male and no not like female are going to look anime, like that commander look like more of a guy but is a female because it is very skinny and have high agility.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Can a Commander have sleek curvature, or designs that appeal to a less masculine audience? Sure. With over a hundred custom comms, you can expect to see a little bit of everything.

Does it make a Comm the chick? Not in the slightest.
  6. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

... they are robots, they have no gender.

How would you even make a female robot btw? Give it curves and breasts? Just seems wrong xD.

They are making a lot of commanders, its not out of the question that one of those will be more feminine looking (I assume a "feminine look" on a robot would include rounded edges and a skinnier body type perhaps?).

But its still just a robot, not a female (or male)...
  7. dusk108

dusk108 Member

It's more than just a slimmer body structure, women actually have a different movement style than men. So basically you'd need a different set of animations and animation rig, otherwise it just looks like a skinny man. Ultimately though these things are supposed to be robots, they should move and look like robots. Though if we're discussing what we'd like to see, a dinosaur shaped commander would be awesome.
  8. stevenside

stevenside Member

Just no. Aint going to happen. This aint Japan.
  9. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Why would you block out an entire set of attitude and personality that players may want to use for their faction?
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

So will that mean they'll have to add in Male units as well?
  11. zachb

zachb Member

You could make an Adrienne Barbeaubot with D-cups full of justice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFHUbwtieg
  12. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

I think with the promised moddability female commanders are a given. Pony commanders even. The latter may well become the most profitable DLC. So long as there's no Ponykiller commander of course.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

lol

I don't think that robots have genders.
    Or well... you could argue that each type of robot is a specific gender. From that standpoint I guess the engineers would be females, since they give birth to new robots.

...lol again
  14. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Wait what? If we take the supcom commanders as a basis they wont move like humans (male or female). They will move like robots.

Please no dinosaurs, while some may find it cool it would completely break immersion for me (and im assuming many others).
  15. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

[​IMG]

All you need are pigtails.
  16. stevenside

stevenside Member

oh god why.... computers and robots are asexual. I dont see a reason to add male or females.
  17. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Regardless of this, the commander models seen so far are fairly masculine, by conventional terms. I think it would be smart to have a commander that looked more feminine. There may be some players out there (male, female, undisclosed) that wish to use them!
  18. stevenside

stevenside Member

[​IMG]
  19. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

... Well i see your point, but its kinda logical that a war robot would look kinda masculine, the frame being thicker makes it more stable for one.

A thin frame would look very fragile and unarmored and Uber has allredy stated that there will be no such thing as a speed difference between different commanders, so we couldent balance it out using mobility or agility.

Having a thin robot frame as sturdy and fast as a thick robot frame just seem weird in my opinion.

I guess they could still try to make a commander more "feminine" looking in other ways that still fits with the rest, making it look more sleek (less chunky) for one. But there isent realy a point to it, the Delta or any other commander is not a male (or female), its a machine.
  20. dusk108

dusk108 Member

Most functional robots are going to look masculine, most of the physical traits we define as feminine arouse to deal with birthing children with massive heads. Since robots don't give birth, having feminine physical traits is rather odd.

If it helps at all look at this way, the commanders are like upright gorillas, female gorillas look the same as male gorillas aside from size really.