Do we need to change beta systems?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bens68, January 3, 2014.

1. bens68

bens68 New Member

Hi i have searched for this topic but have not been able to find it. Basically i think that the beta systems need to be redesigned we have a lot of new people people joining the game due to the steam sale and a lot of them are playing on and developing their first impressions based on the beta systems. The problem is that beta systems often result in stale mate because the second planet is not a comet and is not on the same orbit as the initial planet therefore a lot of games basically end with one team locking down a planet each. As the beta systems are the default maps i believe they should show what planetary annihilation has to offer by making the second planet a comet and placing it in orbit with the first. What do you guys think?
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think it's a moot point. Uber is working on overhauling the UI and we'll see more options for system configuration without having to full on configure the system.

Also, most games don't go to multi-planet. So that's not a major issue.

The game is in beta. Everyone knows that.

If people are going to get the wrong idea about the game because they're expecting a finished product, they'll come to the same conclusion for one reason or another no matter what is done to the default system.
  3. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Its not the systems that need change its the public perception of what defines a beta that needs to change.
    Alot of beta testing is with near complete games that need to do server load testing or games that just finally decide to be complete after years of beta without any major change to the way people play the final product (minecraft). This alters the general public perception of other betas.

Beta means incomplete and its a process mostly enjoyed by those interested in the process of developement, not for those that want a completed game early.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. dianalogue

dianalogue Member

I would still like to see the defaults changed, I have probably 15 systems saved that I've created but just dropping in to a random that made sense would be nice.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I think the OP means change the default two planet system ("beta system") so that they are orbiting each other.
  6. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

oh i totally mis-read. That makes more sense. Ya i dont like the default game start either. 3 planets or 1 large is my fave.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'd rather have a little UI where we can choose the number of planets, orbiting planets, what biomes they are, and what size.

That way we can create a randomized system on the fly.

I may play around with some UI mockups of this...

Swapping them so they're orbiting each other would be a very helpful easy swap without major changes to everything.

I'd support that change.
    dianalogue likes this.
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Maybe at this point in it's public life a few differing system types would be great.
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

brianpurkiss likes this.