Display Mode: Border-less full-screen windowed.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Reddax, November 22, 2013.

1. Reddax

Reddax New Member

I'd love a border-less full-screen windowed option. And i'm sure a lot of others would too!
    Pendaelose likes this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

It is already there?!?
  3. Reddax

Reddax New Member

Only Windowed And fullscreen. I know windowed is like fullscreen bordered window, but i'd prefer that as an option. As it removes the borders around the window.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually current "fullscreen" it's just maximized borderless window.

PA don't use "traditional" modal fullscreen.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  5. Reddax

Reddax New Member

Oh right. My bad
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's what we have.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Might be you want to ask about something else? E.g borderless mode which not hide windows panels.

If you can explain what exactly you need I can try to make AutoHotKey script for you. ;)
  8. joeandjoe

joeandjoe New Member

Hi there,
    i tried PA gamma, and i realized (pretty soon) when i go to the edge of the screen i am outside game window (even when fullscreen),
    and for example when middle mouse button is pressed to move the camera, i lose control of that middle button, when moving to the edge of the screen.

also i can see narrow line of my desktop, as if it was in the background, when i minimise PA window, a maximise it.
    and the main bar of PA window is also visible.

so to me it looks like the game is running in window with borders, not borderless.
  9. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

At least on Windows when you create a window you can specify the window style and one of them has a minimal border on it. That would create the effect you are looking for on Windows.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I'd like to point out that borderless windowed is actually pretty bad unless you specifically need it. Reason being that Windows Vista and onwards forces double buffering on the desktop. And in Windows 8 there is no way to disable it, ever. Whereas in Vista and 7 it does go away if you use the basic or classic desktop styles.

So if you don't want vsync or want to use triple buffering that is not possible with borderless windowed. And of course it eats into your VRAM as the window manager stays fully loaded.

It is also because of this fact that I can say the current implementation is not borderless windowed, as you can force vsync off in the driver. And of course it has the signature display mode switching delay which is not present in borderless either.

I'm all for it as an option for those who like to multitask but it should not replace a proper exclusive mode, especially for such a demanding game.
    Planktum likes this.