Direction of the game

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by rorschachphoenix, March 15, 2013.

1. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

After the release of the mega unit I felt ... uncertain.

I am not worried about the idea of having mega units in the game. But I am really concerned about the feeling that the topic about the mega unit gives me right now.

And that feeling is: the community divides into seperate camps. And one of the camp takes over the direction of the game. And I don't want to see that. I seen it a few times in the past. It ruins everything. For the developers AND for the players.

The feeling is: If enough people whine all day long, they get what they want. And this sucks.

It has to be clear what is in the game and what's not. And you should not change that, because of a whining community. Ever!
  2. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Reason I'm not touching multiplayer mods for this game.

However, I'm not worried about it. Uber's going to make the game they want and pick up good ideas the community comes up with.
  3. taihus

taihus Member

I trust that Neutrino will be making the right decisions for the game.

Neutrino, if you read this, just try to remember that there have been games which were ruined because the developers caved in to community demands instead of remaining true to their own vision.
  4. Polynomial

You don't know this dev group enough if you think whiners will get to them lol.
  5. taihus

taihus Member

Well, there is the whole Megabot thing going on right now...
  6. Polynomial

People don't understand the life cycle of a software development project. Especially considering their alpha date guesses. I'm not sure why they would if they're not in IT/software/game development actually. I really don't think people realize how early is it.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah, the whole mega bot thing is at the end of a list of stretch goals to be completed first.

Normal game>Water worlds>IthinkGasGiantsandorbitals>Lava>Metal>Gal War.

So yeah....long while.
  8. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Meh... this is also a whine thread. Sorry for that.

I just wanted to say: Neutrino, stick with your vision! "never retreat, never surrender" (if you know what I mean?)
  9. RCIX

RCIX Member

^

I know this will sound arrogant, but I honestly do think there is some barrier of communication on the part of people disliking super units. The primary objections to them seem to lie in the difficulty of making the units work in a competitive context, or how it will suck resources away from other things promised.

We've done a pretty good job of explaining at each step that no, super units aren't really aimed at competitive play, and no, we don't want super units till Uber gets everything else they said they want done. Neutrino even said twice over in the super units thread that it would take a stretch goal and more funding once they have most of the rest completed. And somehow it's still a major sticking point.

I'd love to hear a short summary of any objections I missed and try to address them. Anyone willing to step up to the plate?
  10. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

I'm not terribly worried about what happens because I fully intend to mod the game to my liking.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This just reminds me of the Commander Fiasco all over again, it doesn't matter how well you present the information, there will always be knee-jerk reactions based on little to no solid info.

We just have to trust in the guys at Uber that they can see through the noise.

Mike
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I wouldn't have wanted to make the game if I didn't have a strong vision for it. One thing I've learned is that there is going to be a huge diversity of opinions no matter what I do. Can't please everyone.
  13. taihus

taihus Member

+1 for sanity.
  14. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I haven't had a chance to read the sudden 23-page long responses to the introduction of the mega unit yet, but all I'll say is this:
    I want to play a game that has its focus on strategy. An overabundance of mega units would make gameplay too reliant on them, much like what happened in Supcom and especially Supcom 2. Really, any super-weapon provides this issue, including nukes, berthas, and KEWs. Winning a game shouldn't depend on whether these units are built or not. They are just there to provide a different strategic path.
    So a sparse selection of mega-units should be fine, as long as they are only about as essential as the Krogoth was in TA. The same goes for any other sort of mega-tech, such as the aforementioned nukes, berthas, and KEWs.

I don't have too much of a concern about where Uber is going with this just yet, as it seems that they are following this ideal anyway. I just hope they don't go too wild.
  15. syox

syox Member

Ladies and gentleman please stay calm. I had an imagination. An idea that may spread peace and harmony in the commuity. A thought justified by the game and its laws and lores itself. I may aswell go as far as saying it uses the game as a lore itself.

Sadly my phone is not suited for the epicness. So you may wait till i come home.
  16. movra

movra Member

The galaxy is a kbot and the planets its atoms! All hail the galaxybot!
  17. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Everyone backed you based on your vision. Thing is, as soon as people think they have a voice, they often use it too much. In the end most everyone will be super happy with your game & the mod community will keep it going years later turning it into a more and more refined version for specific directions as the community evolves.
  18. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Less Q.Q more Pew Pew
  19. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

Mega-bots = Cool, usually actually UP for their cost
    Competitive sees few mega-bots
    Mega-bots might not be in the initial version of the game
    Uber know what they are doing
    I would like to see Mega-bots at some point
    People are over-reacting about nothing and I'm confused why

Think thats it
  20. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

And.... Yeah... What he said.... :lol:

Honestly, if you opponent get's an Uber-Bot off, it's your fault for letting him do it. :p