Design suggestions/inspiration for 1000$ commander.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedbp, September 10, 2012.

1. thedbp

thedbp Member

So, I want this thread to be an inspiration/suggestion thread for the 1000$ commander, because while I'm not getting one (which I would love so much :( ) I wound't mind inspiring the people who to how it should be.

I'll start out with showing off the laser commander I made.

[​IMG]

who might have a laser instead of the standard gun(s?).

and then there's the steampunk
    [​IMG]

with a gatling and such.

any ideas?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well I already have a good idea what my main idea will be, but before I get too deep into that I'll have to have chat with Uber over some of the parameters for Commander design, the Basilisk isn't exactly humanoid so I imagine it'll be a bit tricky.

Mike
  3. kerrisis

kerrisis New Member

How about this?

[​IMG]
  4. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to justify the $1,000 donation level. I'm an ice hockey goaltender, and I would love to see a little robot running around in my hockey pads and mask blowing **** up.
  5. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Oh hi there Evangelion Unit 02.
  6. thedbp

thedbp Member

:( and here I thought I had OC.
  7. KNight

You sir are colorblind.

Nah you're good.

Mike
  8. jurgenvonjurgensen

Oh, it has Rust Red armour and Gamboge Orange highlights, while Unit 02 had Venetian Red armour and Sunshade Orange highlights, so they're obviously completely different designs. Grammar Nazis are hardly uncommon, but I'm surprised that there are such things as a Colorimitry Nazi.
  9. core188

core188 New Member

10. KNight

Don't forget that the other similarities end past the humanoid aspect of both designs. Especially the fact one is a biological/mythical creature and the other is actually a robot.

Mike
  11. brakpan

brakpan New Member

You dont realize what Evangelions actually are until a while into the series. Initially I thought they were just robots. Maybe I missed obvious hints until later though.
  12. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

[​IMG] just kidding :p

that one looks nice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. jurgenvonjurgensen

Well, if you'd opened with that, rather than an insult, I'd be more receptive to your point, but since you seem intent on acting like a defence lawyer in a Chinese trademark infringement hearing: They're both relatively slim designs which have similar body proportions (actually fairly uncommon in giant robot designs) with prominent extensions on their shoulders, the armour is similar in construction, especially at the feet, knees, and chest, the weapon is reminiscent of Unit 01's positron rifle, and the pose is almost exactly the same as the one in this well-known publicity image. While I'm willing to believe the artist in question was not aware of NGE, to insist that they're not similar designs is just dishonest.
    Last edited: September 10, 2012
  14. VortiK

VortiK New Member

What about Dune's Titan or Cymek ? Might not fit well in a TA/PA lore but look pretty badass.
    Titan
    [​IMG]

Agamemnon
    [​IMG]

Neo Cymek
    [​IMG]
    bigger linkage

Also, Cybran ACU from SupCom2 was kind of cool :
    [​IMG]

Or of course, I'm surprised no-one put his magesty the Core Commander yet ! We need someone to oppose that ARM scum right ? :D
    [​IMG]

Or hell, what about some Warhammer 40.000 stuff, lot of machines there :
    [​IMG]
  15. thedbp

thedbp Member

I swear, I haven't seen that before, this is my own idea, while it might be somewhat similar to someone else it was my own design.
  16. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

17. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

What about this?

[​IMG]

Edit: Due to the following discussion about licensing I want to state that the above graphic is done by myself and is not related to any particular reference source.
    Last edited: September 15, 2012
  18. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

Not sure how they take input, but I'd like to take this as the base inspiration...

[​IMG]

...add some of this to guide the reduction of curves, because I doubt they'll want to create all the complex curves on the Kampfer...

[​IMG]

...and if necessary to remove curves even more, or to re-balance the body proportions, add some of this...

[​IMG]

And that's what I'll be going with. :D
  19. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I'm thinking of a
    [​IMG]
    plus
    [​IMG]

with a Gir (bottom right, not pig) influence to soften it towards the art style
    [​IMG]

But I'm also pro non biped robots, I think they are just more interesting.
  20. nekochild

nekochild New Member

Being a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, I would love to have my Commander look like one of the Metal Gears, preferable Ray or Rex.

[​IMG]

Ray could be equipped with a multi-launch missile for either ground combat or AA, as well as its machine guns and primary laser. The construction unit could be integrated into the belly of Ray somewhere.

[​IMG]

Rex on the other hand, could keeps its main armament, which consists of two Gatling cannons, a missile launcher, and a high energy laser at the underbelly. The construction unit could replace the radar dome on the left side. The large weapon on the right could be converted into a plasma-type cannon, or used as its purpose, and serve as a nuke launcher. (Might be OP though..preferring Plasma cannon).