Demigod

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by GreyDead, August 16, 2010.

1. GreyDead

GreyDead New Member

Is it true that some of the people who helped work on Demigod are also involved with the development of Monday Night Combat?
  2. Mazrix

Mazrix New Member

Yes. One example would be Scathis.
  3. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A large percentage of Uber employees came from Gas Power Games, the studio that did Demigod and Supreme Commander, some of whom did work on Demigod at some point before joining Uber.

Scathis would indeed be one of those.
  4. GreyDead

GreyDead New Member

This is pleasing to me. I loved both the games. Specially Demigod.
  5. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Demigod was one of my favorite games ever, but Monday Night Combat is already far better than Demigod ever was. As much as I like GPG, splitting from it and forming Uber was a great decision. Demigod never had any dev or publisher run tournaments. We got one week 1 with the intention made clear for more. I love this game.
  6. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Demigod was absolutely terrible, but it was more the publisher's fault than the developer. You just couldn't get any games together due to the absolutely horrific lobby code (which was Stardock's part.) Good to see you guys kicking *** without being held back.
  7. Polynomial

It was not Stardock's fault! During 2008 GPG lost 1/2 of its staff when the economy crashed. (Where do you think Uber came from?) GPG gave Demigod no love after Scathis left (he envisioned Demigod) and the post release support was miserable. GPG was in shambles during 2008-2009 barely able to get anything done. The netcode had nothing to do with Stardock's code. People who don't know what they're talking about only blame Stardock because they stood up and tried to fix it.
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I don't think if all of this is entirely accurate but it's not the kind of conversation I'm comfortable having in public.
  9. Polynomial

Don't get me wrong I loved the game. I hate it when people go to blame Stardock for everything. I have like 270 hours of the game logged on my x-fire profile. But it was a tough time for everyone, so I understand.
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There's plenty of blame to go around.
  11. Polynomial

Absolutely. It just wasn't any one (Stardock/GPG) person's fault from my point of view.

Demigod is the reason I followed Uber. You have no idea how much fun my friends and I had with that game. I wanted to stick around with the developers of it. Demigod is Howard's best audio work so far on a game. We literally played it the entire summer of 2009. It was not wasted time and I still hope for the .01% chance of a sequel!
  12. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

Wow, I get no respect. </rodney>
  13. Polynomial

Lol. Jon Mavor told me at PAX East Demigod was a pet project of 2 employees for a while but I only knew Scathis was one of them XD
  14. fatMasticator

fatMasticator New Member

yay! lets play the blame game! BUSH DID IT! NO WAIT GLOBAL WARMING! OMG ALIENS IT WAS ALIENS!!!1
  15. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

That's what you get for not posting enough on the forum... ;)

It was a damn shame that Demigod didn't become the great game it should have been. It had so much potential. I'd love to see a sequel as long as they don't change the core gameplay like they did in SupCom2. The only thing that was improved in SupCom2 was the AI after Sorian had a go at it. The design, art and balancing changes were all for the worse imo.
  16. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Yes o and I were the original two people on Demigod that did all the initial vision for the game. We both left GPG before it shipped, o left three months before I did.
  17. Polynomial

And you two have my eternal love for that game! (Or just a sale for every game you develop >.>)

It would have been the best moba game out of LoL and HoN had things went differently.
  18. Warskull

Warskull New Member

It is looking like Valve will probably end up taking that title. Valve doesn't screw around when it makes games.
  19. Polynomial

20. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

Neutrino, Scathis, and I talked at great length about what it would take to bring Demigod to console and how the gameplay would change to accommodate. Sadly, it was way beyond the scope of what we could do with our given resources. Fortunately MNC contains a great deal of that overall gameplay vision and Ekanaut brought it to life in the whacky sci-fi universe you have before you. Every project we get better at what we do. MNC is a reflection of this and I can't wait to show everyone what we have in store for the game. It only gets better :)