Delta V Engine

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by probodobodyne, July 22, 2015.

1. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

I think it sounds really cool and I wouldn't ever ask you to change it but... I've been meaning to ask this for a while, why is the Halley called a Delta V Engine? I mean calling a rocket engine a Delta V Engine is akin to calling it, well, Engine Engine or Moving Engine or Acceleration Engine... You get the gist. It's the moon moon of engines.
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Makes sense to me. Engine is not a tautology of acceleration.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This stems all the way back to beta when they first created the smash system: the engine changes (adds) delta v to the planet, bringing its orbit closer to the sun (the original system actually used a n body simulation, although that proved too unpredictable so they switched to something less realistic, the original n body approach may well still be lurking in the engine however...), I think the name kinda just stuck from there.
    probodobodyne likes this.
  4. ordinarypi

ordinarypi Member

Delta V is the measurement of acceleration in space (Please correct if wrong). The engine further accelerates the planet, AKA adding Delta V, into the target.
    Remy561, ArchieBuld and stuart98 like this.
  5. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Delta V is the measurement of how much velocity you can change, whether or not you are in a vacuum.
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  6. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

And thus a fancy name for acceleration. They could also have called it delta delta x engine if x denotes position :p
    crizmess likes this.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v
    Remy561 likes this.
  8. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Delta V is literally the language of mathematics to say "the rate of change in velocity"
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Specific cases ;-)
    Although I don't agree with the wording. It is not the absence of forces, it is just the case where you look at acceleration and not at an impulse equation.
  10. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Not really, acceleration is the rate in which velocity changes, while Delta V is the measurement of the change in velocity required to do a maneuver. Although I might be totally wrong
  11. probodobodyne

Not as wrong as a bit awkward. Your definition is akin to defining money as the unit of the change in your account balance to buy a bottle of hair conditioner.

To put it simply, Delta-V is how much you can increase/decrease your velocity with the amount of fuel left in your fuel tanks So, if you accelerate by 300 m/s using your engines in one direction, you've spent 300 Delta-V.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Actually the expression delta v can be used to describe any change in a value defined as v (e.g. in electronics this expression could be used in the context of varying voltages). It's only in the specific context of mechanics that it refers to velocity.
  13. probodobodyne

You didn't need to go that far, Delta V can also be the change in speed of an object and not the speed changing capability of an engine and its fuel. But we're talking about the term Delta V as it is in rocket science.
    Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  14. killerkiwijuice

Speed is not the same thing as velocity ;)
  15. probodobodyne

Of course not, but you can express Delta V as the change in speed of an object as well as its velocity in some cases, hence, can. ;)
  16. killerkiwijuice

Only if the direction of the object doesn't change, yes. But substituting scalar quantities for vector quantities is not very good.

dammit i feel like i'm turning into a pseudo intellectual ;-;
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.