Deleting game, may reinstall later on

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by chrisb2e9, September 7, 2014.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 New Member

If I had known that I would require an internet connection I would have never backed this game. Maybe for the minimum amount, not the 150 that I paid.
    The game stutters so badly, that I can't play it. It reminds me of playing on a 14.4K modem...
    And having to play in window mode because I have no mouse cursor? Blame it on Vista and AMD all you want, it's just a mouse cursor. Fix it...

Not looking for sympathy or tech support. Just venting my frustration. Things like this make you want to never support something again. After Xrebirth and now this, I'll never buy a game before it's released again.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

The problems with setting a release date and not being ready =P however, u should upon a support thread because i have never heard of the mouse problem before
  3. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

Or, keep it and wait.
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Vista? Who uses Vista anymore?

Plus, the game isnt 'fully' released yet. A Proper Offline is still on the way.
  5. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

What kind of bandwidth do you have on your internet connection? Cause I have been able to play the game smoothly on a 2Meg connection, until very late game, since Alpha. As far as stuttering it is more likely to be due to video drivers or hardware than bandwidth. I was playing the game in early alpha at 10 frames per second because the best video card I had was a gt8500. Frame rate really has nothing to do with bandwidth at this point in the games development.

I, personlly, find it very uncool to pitch a fit like this just after release. If you backed the game at $150, you have been able to vent these frustrations for at least the last 18 months, and I don't like that you would chose to become vocal right when we are seeing the greatest influx of new players since Gamma release.

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I love this game and I have dealt with dozens of technical issues and been very active throughout the development process. you could have been proactive instead of waiting until now.

P.S. 2 posts for a $150 backer. You did not take advantage of your access at all.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Hey, you can't play the game properly, that sucks. But try getting some troubleshooting done in the support forum. If that doesn't help, there is offline coming, we just don't have an official "when" yet. Likely soon though. I'm loving PA so can wait a bit longer until it's smoothened out.
    squishypon3, corteks and philoscience like this.
  7. moonshinefox

moonshinefox New Member

Since when is 1.0 and "PA HAS BEEN RELEASED!" announcement not "released"?
    Clopse and Neumeusis like this.
  8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 New Member

The mouse issue is related to Vista and AMD drivers. Which makes it a small issue as someone else pointed out, vista is old...
    funny thing is, I played some of the early builds and I had a mouse cursor then. So why not now? I tried a ticket with tech support and was told to upgrade my operating system.
    If I was having problems getting the game to run, or display properly. Then I think I could buy that answer, but this is just a mouse cursor. How hard can that be to fix? I think that the problem is too small for Uber to care about it.
    Anyway...
    I'll play it again some day. Just not in it's current state.
    I read this on their facebook page:
    Planetary Annihilation has officially launched. Build tons of units, smash a planet, and conquer a galaxy:
    So.... What is a launch then? Did I misread something?

It's not the frame rate, FPS is pretty high actually. I can move the map around, look at stuff. It's all smooth. But the units on the screen will move, stop.... .... .... catch up to where they should be, stop... ... ... and so on. That's why I used the analogy of a 14.4K modem if you ever played Descent on Kali then you will understand the reference.
    My current internet connection is slightly better than yours at 2.5

And I didn't have frustrations up until now. Granted I didn't play the game a lot in the last few months. I did play it once in a while to see how it was coming along. I remember one early game where I could not kill the enemy commander because he was in the middle of the planet. But I didn't care because it was an early build and I knew it would be fixed. Going back to what I said earlier, the game is officially launched. But with the state that it's in, I can go back and play Forged Alliance on an 81K map with 6 AI and it run's fine(for a while...). This game doesn't run after 5 seconds. So of course I'm frustrated.

As to my limited post count, I'm not big on internet forums. You never know who you are talking to, what their experience level is, what their expertise level is. Are they telling the truth or trolling, etc.
    Having said that, was it uncool of me to pitch a fit? Sure, but the day before I decided to quit drinking coffee. So I may have lacked the calmness that I usually have...(or at least try to have)

But in better news it's been over a week now with no coffee!!!!
    God I want a cup...
    cmdandy, drz1 and Crymaw like this.
  9. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I understand why people are being so aggressive and defensive to Chris2e9: a lot of trash threads start the same way, across a lot of gaming forums.

I can sympathize with this one though. The freezes in multiplayer games have been very frustrating, and have affected a lot of players. No doubt Uber is working on this issue, but it's been a problem since the start and it hasn't become any less irritating after all these months.

My friends and I are still waiting eagerly in anticipation of this fix, so that we can really sink our teeth into it and start enjoying it for the brilliant game it is.

The offline mode and LAN support were also a selling point of the game, and so I can understand why he is complaining about it when the game's servers are lagging.

I have a 4mb connection, GeForceGTX 670, 8 gigs of ram and an intel i5-3470, running Windows 7, and I still have theses freezes he speaks of, as do other players with similar hardware and internet speeds. I've made posts about it in support, and so have others since the start of beta. I love the game, and would love to be able to play it more.

Chris clearly does too; he just didn't articulate himself very well.

He wasn't being overly rude, and this is the backer's lounge: it's not viewable by all the 'new players' you're worried about, so maybe tone down the hostility a little?
    Last edited: September 15, 2014
    cmdandy and drz1 like this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The game is released- no question there. That is not the same as 'finished' though which is what brandon was trying to point out I think. With respect to the offline mode, Uber delayed it as it wasn't ready (the game was released physically in shops as well as on-line so I think once they had committed to the date they had to stick to it). They have very clearly said it *is actively being worked on now* so it's still coming, just a little later than planned. This kind of thing happens with big projects, I personally would rather they are given the time to finish it properly as otherwise it could cause more problems than it solves.

A few of the community members got a look at the server live at PAX so we know it exists (and at the time it required quite a lot of in depth manual settings which is not going to be suitable for your average user- the delay is probably them automating all of that side of it so it 'just works').
  11. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Point taken Crymaw, I get frustrated when I see a person who has squandered a fantastic opportunity to help guide the development of a project as technically challenging and rewarding as this.

It is kind of like the guy who complains about an elected official but never took the time to vote.
    Crymaw likes this.
  12. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Actually, he did "vote" : he gaved money to Uber.
    What he didn't do was controlling if they were doing what he was expecting.

And you talk about opportinuties, there are not so many things that we (backers) managed to do.
    A few backlash from some clumsy moves, a few adjustment here and there, but nothing really big.

Back on topic, sorry for the transgression.
    Do like me OP.
    Stay in touch, and wait until the game reach a satisfactory state.
    Making games is hard. Give them time, they are doing pretty well for now :)
    Last edited: September 16, 2014
    Crymaw likes this.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Well if you're not going to even try to fix it, you'll get none of either from me.
    So kthxbai.
    schuesseled192 likes this.